salt water snails

hollywood11892

Reefing newb
so i was wondering do salt water snails reproduce as much as freshwater cuz i had a pretty bad infestation in another tank and didnt want the same thing to happen

LOL, I remember that from my freshwater days but I've not had that problem in my marine tank. Not that they don't reproduce, but that I need all the snails I can get :D

If my salt water snails reproduced like crazy i would be fairly happy! :P they are easy to get out, LFS's love them and they would sell fast and they do wonders for the tank.

Technically its possible to get an infestation of pest snails that much on corals or bother clams, but this is not very common. These pest snails are frequently eaten by the more popular wrasses so if you do have a problem, its a quick fix.

I agree i wish they would reproduce quicker.. would have to do less explaining when I want a new coral...:D

I don't think they reproduce as fast, but they still do fairly quickly. But in saltwater, the eggs/larvae are eaten by corals, fish and other inverts or removed by skimming. So they have a lower survival rate than their freshwater counterparts.

all the ones you will buy will be slow breeders. Trust me, you arent going to be complaining about your snails breeding too fast, you will be luck if they breed at all.

Back