salt_for_brains 180g Project

salt_for_brains

Alabama Reefer
Alright guys and gals I am starting a new tank. This is totally in its incipient state. I just brought this monster home last night. It is 24" x 24" x 72" which is a great footprint. I have a long way to go before I get water in this thing. I am going to build a new stand and canopy for it. So I will post pics along the way. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 467
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of people having trouble in their basements but I don't think it will be a problem in my house. Besides I live in the humidity capital of the world here in lower Alabama:cool: Seriously though, I haven't thought about it but if I see a need I will definitely take some action.

I built the frame today. It is 25" W x 72-1/2" L x 36" tall. I didn't want to have a center brace post so I beefed up the top rails by using 2x8's. The rest of the frame is 2x4's. I used coated deck screws and wood glue to attach the frame together. This thing is stout.

This is the 2x8 top rails.
image.jpg
This is the 2x4 bottom.
image.jpg
The support posts in place.
image.jpg
The top in place.
image.jpg
The finished product below. I will plywood the top so I can lay my 1/2" styrofoam on it. I will also plywood the bottom for my sump. A buddy of mine gave me 55g tank to use as the sump. I will start skinning it out next week and also start on the canopy.
image.jpg

I think my next one will be a tacoma. They look awesome and hold up well. I've got the frontier, 3.3 supercharged truck and it's doing ok. It's an automatic and the damn thing shifts so hard in to second when it's cold out (6 months of the year)
Sorry for stealing the post.... I'm a fanatic for metric vehicles.

I think my next one will be a tacoma. They look awesome and hold up well. I've got the frontier, 3.3 supercharged truck and it's doing ok. It's an automatic and the damn thing shifts so hard in to second when it's cold out (6 months of the year)
Sorry for stealing the post.... I'm a fanatic for metric vehicles.
Not a problem. Mine is a 02 Tacoma, automatic that just hit a 161k miles so it isn't even broke in good yet. No major work just the usual oil changes, brake pads and tires.

Great looking start. I'm currently building a new stand for a 20g and it's been a lot of fun so far. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I built the frame today. It is 25" W x 72-1/2" L x 36" tall. I didn't want to have a center brace post so I beefed up the top rails by using 2x8's. The rest of the frame is 2x4's. I used coated deck screws and wood glue to attach the frame together. This thing is stout.

This is the 2x8 top rails. View attachment 24104 This is the 2x4 bottom. View attachment 24105 The support posts in place. View attachment 24106 The top in place. View attachment 24107 The finished product below. I will plywood the top so I can lay my 1/2" styrofoam on it. I will also plywood the bottom for my sump. A buddy of mine gave me 55g tank to use as the sump. I will start skinning it out next week and also start on the canopy. View attachment 24108

Looks like you used pressure treated lumber just a warning it will shrink over time unless expansive klin dryed but your Styrofoam should fix the warp that may or may not occur also has bad stuff like copper sulfate so I paint areas that can be exposed to tank moisture because it does release some volatile organic compounds. I included pic of my ugly stand I made in a rush and haven't had time to make another but just pine 2x4" hasn't moved in years.

Attachments

• 14247174133381147833460.jpg
    14247174133381147833460.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 415
  • 1424717525807-2027870886.jpg
    1424717525807-2027870886.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 388
I have a 13 Tacoma for work it's not enough truck for my job but for a home owner truck it's more than enough. We have two a 4 cylinder and a 6 the 6 gets better gas mileage.

Back