Saltwater livestock prices

RockStacker

Reefing newb
By Golly! saltwater livestock prices have really shot up since I last shopped.

A bit of a background:
I first set up my 55gal tank in 1999. It started as a FOWL tank, then it slowly evolved into a soft coral tank a couple of years later.
When I was stocking with corals initially (circa 2001-2002), these are the prices I usually encounter:
Medium-Large Toadstool Leather Coral (about 6" across): $15.00
zoanthids (about 50 heads): $20.00
mushrooms (about 10 heads): $10.00
Green Star Polyps (about 100 heads?): $15.00
False Percula (juvenile): $5.00
Chromis: $0.50
damsels: $1.00

From there, I basically just fragged what I had and traded with other hobbyists so I did not have the need to buy from stores.

Fast forward to today:
Due to a relocation and teardown of the tank, I had massive coral die off in my tank and I was shopping around to restock.

Boy what a difference a decade makes :)
zoanthids (3-4 heads): $10.00 - that would make a 50-head colony $125.00
Toadstool Leather (1 inch frag): $20.00 - scale that up to a 6" coral and it is $120.00
Mushrooms (2-3 heads): $30.00
Green Star Polyps (about 50 heads): $80.00
False Percula (juvenile): $30.00
Chromis: $5.00
damsels: $8.00

I can't make a comparison on LPS and SPS since I did not really get into those even back then.
Live Rock prices seem to be on par with prices 5 years ago.

On a related note: Back then, regular gas was around $1.40

Man, if only my salary actually tripled in 10 years like gas prices did...

I've been in the hobby about 12 years now, and I don't think prices have changed substantially in my area. Maybe it's a regional thing?

My dad had a tank when he had is own place around 25 years ago
He talked to me the other day and told me about how prices were stuff were extremely low to what they are now. So you're not alone :P

My dad had a tank when he had is own place around 25 years ago
He talked to me the other day and told me about how prices were stuff were extremely low to what they are now. So you're not alone :P

Okay but what wasn't cheaper 25 years ago? People bought really nice family homes for $40K back then!

Okay but what wasn't cheaper 25 years ago? People bought really nice family homes for $40K back then!

I'm just saying that they were cheaper where we were. You said it might have been a regional thing. Just putting in my input. Obviously things have gotten more expensive, not just fish

Back