Saltwater on my LEDs

earman88

Reefing newb
I put some black plastic garbage bags around my tank to kill off some green hair algae.

The water crept up the bags and into my Marineland Reef Compatible LED lights. The issue is that now when I turn it to the blue LED moonlights, 2 of the white LED's on the far end stay on (very dimly but visible).

Any ideas? If this were freshwater I'd be ok to just set it in the sun but I am thinking the saltwater is all crusted up inside it.... :frustrat:

Hard to say ....one time when I had that fixture it fell into my tank and was submerged halfway for like 15 minutes. At first a few lights on that side wouldn't turn on but after a day they turned back on and were fine ever since. Maybe just give it time. I know that the fixture isn't modular and if they don't come back on u may have to replace the whole fixture.

Salt creep might have created a contact between electrical points of those white LEDs so their circuits continue to be closed.
Saltwater is an electrical conductor so it would be a feasible scenario. It the salt creep still has enough water in it then electricity could still flow.

Check with your vendor if you can get warranty service or replacement.

Otherwise, you could open up the unit and remove as much of the salt on the internal wiring as possible. I am sure this would void the rest of your warranty though.

Salt creep SUCKS! It ruined my Fluval edge, fried my moonlights and obliterated by LED bulbs. There are lots of ways to prevent it, however, such as keeping as much off the tank as possible, wiping it down now and then, and keeping splashing to a minimum (a lot of people that use HOB filters get salt creep from the water exiting the filter hitting the surface of the water, causing tiny splashes each time). I suggest opening it (if you don't care about the warranty) and using a q-tip to get every bit of salt off of there. Use a SMALL amount of fresh RODI water and wipe away the bits, then let it dry for a significant amount of time before plugging it in. Best of luck.

Back