saltwater water

Anthony357

Reefing newb
ok, i know using water out of the tap, even after being "connditioned" isnt good for a FOWLR tank, and i know everyone talks about this ro/di thing to cycle the water, my question for you guys is, is what sorta water should i add to my tank when setting up, as well as do you think i need an ro/di? any input would be greatly appreciated!

You should never use tap water. Not to set the tank up, and not to do water changes. You should always use RODI water. You have three options. Buy your own RODI unit and make your own water, buy RODI water from a fish store, or buy RODI water from Walmart or a grocery store in bottles.

so if i bought the ro/di machine, do i just attach it to the back of the tank like a hang on filter? would i still have to buy new water and salt even if i go that route? trying to look into this new ro/di system since its best from what i hear, would like to know as much as you guys know about it and your personal experiences, likes/dislikes, as i am probably going to have to go buy one sometime today...thanks again!!

A Ro unit hooks to your water supply. A lot of people hook them up under their sink. I hooked mine up with my washing machine. Seeing I already have water filteration on the house. I have the RO water going into a trash can and the bad water going into the washer. This way I don'twaste any water. Saves me pennies seeing I pay for water.

You don't attach a RO/DI unit to the tank,its attached to a faucet or plumbed into the sink.The unit filters the tapwater taking out heavy metals,phosphate,nitrate etc.Its not going to make saltwater for you.You'll still need to buy salt mix.Don't forget you're need a TDS(total dissolve solids) meter to test the water.You won't know if the unit is working properly without it.

Advantages-healthier system,less problem with nuisance algae,removes heavy metals such as copper which can be deadly.The advantages goes on and on.

Disadvantages-waste water and its time consuming.It takes a good amount of water pressure to go through all the stages of the filter so expect a good waiting time to fill up a container.Buying a unit with higher gallon per day will help tremendously.Say a 100gpd will be much better than one that only does 50gpd.

If all that sounds daunting then buy you some containers and head to Walmart,grocery store or better yet your LFS for RO/DI water.Many LFS will sell fresh or saltwater premade.Here salt is $1 a gallon and fresh is $.65 a gallon.

Good luck.

I have mine hooked up under my kitchen sink. Then I have a 25 foot line running from the RODI unit, through the 'window' between the kitchen and the dining room, and into my auto top off.

ok, i know using water out of the tap, even after being "connditioned" isnt good for a FOWLR tank, and i know everyone talks about this ro/di thing to cycle the water, my question for you guys is, is what sorta water should i add to my tank when setting up, as well as do you think i need an ro/di? any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you are only planning on keeping fish and no corals - you should be okay with your tap water. Well - depending what kind of fish you are keeping. Look for hardy fish.

Tap water usually has really high phosphates and nitrates. That's just begging for algae problems, in my opinion. It's hard enough to keep the algae away using GOOD water! Why make it more difficult?

The key word is usually. TEST your water before letting someone else make the decision for you.

The last time I checked my water it had almost no nitrates. I have no reason to use RO/DI and recommend everyone to test their water.

My question to you: why make things more difficult than you need to - why add extra parts (i.e. more things that can go wrong) if it's not needed for your area or what you keep.

Throwing money into a setup does not fix problems. More often - it creates them.

Newbies that are using tap water usually don't know what to test for, let alone to even test it at all.

Either do oldies!

But then again..

if they are coming to a website to ask questions - I find it best to give them information and opinions - not flat out tell someone they are dooming their tank to death unless they do it the way you have done it.

to all reading: don't take what you read on the web as the gospel. Take it as an opinion and do your own research. That's the only way you will ever actually learn. Granted - I doubt few in this hobby really learn (or any hobby for that matter).. most just spew out advice word for word from what they heard someone else say.

Back