Sand and Live Rock!!!

You will need a container like a rubbermaid tub,heater and powerhead to move the water.Check the water salinity,ammonia,nitrite every few days.Once both ammonia and nitrite is at zero then the rocks are cured.Doing water changes during the cycle will be up to you.The cycles will take longer but it may preserve more critters.Personally,I wouldn't do water changes unless ammonia rises about 1ppm.

Can I do this while its in the tank. All i have for filtration right now is a protein skimmer, i still have a hang on filter and a bio wheel 100. Can i hook up those again and cure the rocks and sand like that?

if there is no other livestock in the tank then you can do it there, otherwise in a tub as reeffreak says. I don't think the filter will be necessary as the live rock will be your source of bacteria which will grow from the die off during the curing process.

How long dos it take to cure live sand and live rock. This is going to be a new set up. Do i will put the live sand in, then put the live rock in the way i want then, run the protein skimmer because thats my filtration and wait till on the cemicals are good. Thats all i have to do right!!

How long dos it take to cure live sand and live rock. This is going to be a new set up. Do i will put the live sand in, then put the live rock in the way i want then, run the protein skimmer because thats my filtration and wait till on the cemicals are good. Thats all i have to do right!!

It takes typically 2-6 weeks.Sometimes it instanteously.If this is a new setup then cure it in the aquarium,sand down first.Yes,go ahead start the skimmer.

If this rock is for an existing system then cure it separately(above).You may get away with no cycle if you add small amounts of cured live rock,say 5lbs at a time.

Back