Sand Bed

adampw

Reefing newb
So my tank has been setup for a bit now and I am noticing some build up of detrius on my sand bed. I was wondering how everyong goes about cleaning this up? A vacumm wouldn't work for me because it instantly starts picking up the sand. Would sand stirrers work ok to clean this up? If so what kind?

Some dont like hermit crabs because the will kill snails for the shells.But I would get 3 or 4 little blue leg hermits,maybe a few cerith snails,or if your nitrates are low,a sand sifting starfish.
What do have in your tank now ?Also what are your plans for your tank? Reef,FO,FOWLR?
That'll help everybody understand how to help you better.

I think you deffinetly need sand sifter like gobys, nassarius snails, and sand sifting starfish, however, I dont think they do it all just help. Every now and then I have to take a power head and blow around the rocks to get it up in the air for the filter to take it out, also sometimes I move all the rocks and vacumm it up, you will get some sand when vaccuming but its worth it to get the poop out. IMO

Currently I have a crab, 2 turbo snails and a clown. I did have a lawnmower blenny, but him and the powerhead got into a fight :(. I also have 30lbs of LR. I am gearing this tank towards a reef tank as well/

Yeah,a sand sifting starfish,maybe a brittle or serpent star,and like Bobby said a goby.Even some shrimp will eat that crap.

adampw, i jiust got myself a green serpent star! I can tell you that it is doing an amazing job with my tank.... it is always foraging for food and detritus on my sand bed. It really helped me....

Have you tryed vacuming the sand, but at the same time, cork the hose so it blocks the water and stop the syphon for a bit when the sand gets too high in the "tube" part" before it makes it to the hose....?? The sand just falls back down and the garbage stuff gets syphoned. that's what i do, and i barely vacum any sand out.... Don t know if that makes any sens....but anyhow, that how i do it.. :)

Thank you for the quick replies. I will have to get some sand sifters. I will try the vacumming suggestion as well. I have the fancy 20ft vacumm you can get at walmart with the switch on it to cut off suction. Again thank you for the replies :D

Back