Sand coloration

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I have noticed lately that around the edges of the tank the sand is turning a dark to medium grayish color. Some of it is shallow while some is quite deep and it goes from bottom upwards. Any ideas?

Alrighty, here it is.

Attachments

• detritus 027.jpg
    detritus 027.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 292
also if it is detrious, will it seep into the sand bed. my sand bed is about 3 inches deep and the brownish/redish color is about half way through the bed. i can see it through the edge of my tank

haha that makes sense lol. i have 2 large turbo snaile about a dozzen nasarius snails. 1 large green bristle serpent star. and a mixed total of about 30 small hermits (red, blue and some other ones) also a whole mess of LITTLE cone shapped snails. i cant remember what they are called right now.

You should consider getting a sand sifting goby they will keep the sand stirred up and clean for you I have one in each of my tanks they are great.

Thanks for the link Justin.

Amber, I went to the LFS after work today and of course they were out and wouldnt have any more until next week so I got 2 large hermit crabs that burrow in the sand.

I might get yelled at for this post, but bear with me....

I bought a sand sifting star fish as part of my CUC. He/she/it did a great job of cleaning up the sand bed. I had IT for about a month or so. Sand is now spotless and with the addition of two turbos, the tank looks good. I took the Star back to the store last week. I didn't want it to starve in my tank since it was new, but I did need it to clean up the sand. Kinda like renting a specialty tool I guess!

Back