Sand question.....grain size

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
As some may know, I have disgusting sand. Not sure what I am going to do about it as of yet but it has got me thinking.

I have a mix of Fiji pink and Fiji white sand in my tank. Its not real fine but its not real coarse either. Its....sand. Recently I was in the Bahamas and noticed the sand there. Bright white and it had an unusual texture. The grains were larger than my sand but not rough. It didn't seem to compact well but its not like crushed coral either. It was very odd.

Does any have an idea as to what this size is called? Anyone know where I might get some sand like that? Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Anyone care?!!?

Go to www.premiumaquatics.com and check out Tropic Eden sand. They have a few different grain sizes, and I've heard nothing but great things about it's color and quality.

I want a few bags myself but after shipping it's $146 just for one. :death:

Took a look at the Tropic Eden sand. Interesting stuff. I ordered the sample pack to see if any of them is the size and texture I'm thinking of. Would the largest of the sands be bad for my snails or dragonette?

I'm thinking of scooping out as much of my current sand as possible and putting the large kind on top of whats left. Would this cause any issues? Would the finer sand work its way up through the coarser sand?

I'm thinking of scooping out as much of my current sand as possible and putting the large kind on top of whats left. Would this cause any issues? Would the finer sand work its way up through the coarser sand?

Only if we lived in a world where there was no gravity. :lol:

If you put a fine grained sand on top of a corase grained sand, the fine sand will make its way down to the bottom over time. If you put a coarse grained sand on top of a fine sand, things will stay put, but you will probably see the layers.

Any of these sands would be fine for burrowing fish.

Back