sand recommendations

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hey everybody,

I have a quick question for you all. I am re-doing my aquarium because all the equipment is old and everything I do I find something else so time to get all new equipment. With that done I decided to change out my substrate, I initially went with the crushed coral which was fine but I am tired of the color changes. I read somewhere, (maybe on here but I can't find it) but using regular childrens' play sand (cleaned and rinsed of course) works well for a substrate and doesn't discolor and is easy to clean. I just want to check if anyone else uses this and is there any problems with it or is this what is generally used.

Also kind of a dumb question but this shouldn't harm gobies and fish that sift the sand around at all does it. I don't want to change it and find out I have to replace it again later.

Personally if I redid my tank I would go with black volcanic sand...it never discolours since it is black :mrgreen: super easy to clean

excellent responses, thank you. Glad I asked before doing.

foxymoxy --- I would love the black sand but I read the opposite that it always looked dirty with all the crap and debris on it because it shows up better with the black "background", do you notice that with yours?

excellent responses, thank you. Glad I asked before doing.

foxymoxy --- I would love the black sand but I read the opposite that it always looked dirty with all the crap and debris on it because it shows up better with the black "background", do you notice that with yours?

My friend has black sand, but also a dark background. I never noticed it looking dirty, but it does make the bright coloured corals stand out. The biggest problem I noticed is that you also need bright coloured fish or else they will just blend in with their surroundings.

I love my black sand. While it does show some stuff, it doesn't end up looking "dirty" like the white sand does. I went with CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, and I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, I've sanded my two tanks in black, and I'm going to sand my 50 in black when I set it back up this summer!

I love my black sand. While it does show some stuff, it doesn't end up looking "dirty" like the white sand does. I went with CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand, and I highly recommend it. As a matter of fact, I've sanded my two tanks in black, and I'm going to sand my 50 in black when I set it back up this summer!

same here when i get my 55g running its going to be in black sand my bowfront that's running right now is a mix black and white. "Indo-Pacific Black" with a bag of white "Original Grade Substrate" But wishing I just went with black. :Cheers:

Back