Sand Sifting Fish?

My brother bought some 220gr Safari loads for his .300 Win Mag. There were pictures of lions, wildebeasts and rhinos on the box!! And it said, "Fast burning--high energy powder. Dangerous Game Loads." :shock:

I told him, "Dude, they're elk. They don't bite or chase you. Ya think thats a little too much bullet ya got there?"

I shot about 3 rounds of those monsters through his rifle and that was all my shoulder could take. Like getting hit in the shoulder with a sledgehammer. I let him finish the last couple rounds off to site in the new scope. I just couldn't take anymore.

My weatherby kicks hard enough with my little bullets,Hell,Its been so long since I even bought a box for it that I dont remember what grain I used to shoot.
But I got a rememinton 870 12ga that will tear your head off with my turkey loads.When you drop in a 2oz load of 3" mag #4s out of a 20" extra full choke barrel,I'll put that kick up against any rifle on the market.

My weatherby kicks hard enough with my little bullets,Hell,Its been so long since I even bought a box for it that I dont remember what grain I used to shoot.
But I got a rememinton 870 12ga that will tear your head off with my turkey loads.When you drop in a 2oz load of 3" mag #4s out of a 20" extra full choke barrel,I'll put that kick up against any rifle on the market.

Hey, thats no joke!!

I shoot a 12ga Winchester pump, so I don't get the benefit of using some of the shock to work the semi-auto action. It all goes into my shoulder.

I've shot some 3.5" magnum #5 turkey loads with 2oz of shot and 4drams of powder. That packs a helluva whallop!!

I shot a carp with my bow once. Yes, I ate it. Smoked it on the BBQ and it was GOOOOOOD!

Does that count? :mrgreen:

On topic:
My watchman goby has taken to ignoring my damsel Dory. A serious blow to her ego. She's decided to leave him be.

The goby is sifting mouthful after mouthful of sand. Buzzy little bugger. I overfed my damsel a bit this evening and the goby came out to take frozen brine shrimp from the water colum as it floated to the bottom. Thats a good sign. He's eating and getting some nourishment. Also a sign that he might be a little too hungry. I may start to drop a bit of extra food in from now on until the tank becomes well established with copepods. I'd feel awful if I starved a fish to death. I like fat and well-fed fishies.

Is there a particular type of food that a goby is partial too? He's eating brine right now. Would he eat pellet food?

I have some Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 Marine pellets that the damsel won't eat. Alphalpha, krill, shrimp, squid, minerals, fish oil. etc... Maybe a few pellets of that daily? See if he eats it?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think I would stay with the frozen.Every time i've tryed to use pellets and flakes i've had algae outbreaks.

I've never eat carp.But have bow fished for them a lot.Usually during the spring,the creek here will flood if we get a lot of rain.When it does the carp come up in the fields,Take my canoe and my bow,and go practice.
There a guy down the road that will cook every one I bring him.

I agree with Yote, I would avoid pellet or flake foods. There are so many varieties of frozen out there, buy a few packs and try mixing it up a bit. Freak is also right, switch from brine to mysis shrimp.

What about krill? Freeze dried foods? What kind?

What would be an appropriate food to supplement for the goby since I haven't got enough copepods to keep him healthy?

I've only been feeding the damsel brine shrimp. She devours it. She won't eat the pellets. I'll get some mysis for sure.

I feed a mix of mysis, enriched brine,cyclops,krill,mussel,and a few other I cant remember.I like to thaw a cube of each in a small bowl.That way after I feed the tank I can keep the rest in the fridge.
No pellets,flakes,or frezze dried goes into my tank.

Look for a combo formula, like emerald entree or marine cuisine. They do the work for you of adding all sorts of nifty foods together in a combo cube.

Avoid brine shrimp, even spirulina enriched brine. It is totally useless. fish stores use it because it is cheap.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Found a marine combo food in frozen cube form today. The damsel likes it, and the goby came out to eat as well.

My goby is not just staying on the bottom of the tank. It is swimming up and crawling over all the rocks in search of food. It picks at things and darts around. Up and down in the water column. Always looking for food.

Is that normal? Or is it starving and searching in desperation for something to eat?

It made a cave under one of my rocks by gulping sand and then carrying the sand outside and spitting it out. Then it would return to the rock and gulp another mouthful of sand. Transport it away from the opening and then spit the sand again. That seams normal.

Just wondering if they move about the water column so much. I made an "assumption" that they were strictly bottom dwellers, so this behavior of swimming around the entire tank and perching on top of rocks or sifting through debris on the rocks was not what I expected.

Was at a LFS the other day and there were a couple of them lil goby fellas hanging out on the LR, moving around quite a bit, not just on the bottom...

You never really know what a salt water fish is going to do.They can and will surprise you more time than not.
My tiger watchman loves to swim in and out of the rock,and he's got caves dug under ever rock thats on the bottom.

Back