Sand size

I think I'm going to get this sand for my new tank, and I hope someone can give their opinion.

Marine Aquarium Substrate: Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

It has 1.0 to 2.0 mm grain. It will be added to the sand I currently have, which is 0.5-1.7 mm and similar color. I don't want to go with the finer grained sand because I want to minimize it flying around (so annoying). I want to have a 1-2" sand bed and have a sand-sifting goby and nassarius snails to clean it. Will it be okay?

That sand looks good. Whether you do sand in your fuge or not is up to you. Like Hannah said, it's not necessary. It does make it more difficult to keep the fuge clean, as stuff will tend to settle on the bottom of it. If you do put some in, I'd say no more than an inch.

So it doesn't help the copepods and little critters to have sand? I just put a few small rocks in there and just throw the chaeto in there and it'll grow? Also do you think I should put the chaeto in there right away or wait until I have fish in the tank again so there's more nutrients for it? (the fish will still be in QT treated for ich for about a month after I set up the new tank)

Back