Sand - what is important?

KatiB

Reefing newb
Ok...picking up the aquarium tomorrow. If I am doing a reef, is there anything in particular I should consider in sand? I am thinking about 1 1/2 to 2"....What else as far as composition etc do I need to consider?

"Possible" farther in the future fish choices:

Clown
Firefish
Blenny or Watchman

None of those will go in until the aquarium is ready for their needs....but those are some I am looking at since this is a Nano. So keeping that in mind also....

In my experience, the sand is best if it about sugar sized granuals or so. Any larger(like crushed coral) and it can start to collect the fish :pooh: and uneaten food. It also makes it hard for any creature that burrows in the sand to do so. Any smaller and it gets blown around too easily by the currents in the tank.

Also, just go with the dry sand instead of the "live" sand that is pre packaged. The bacteria will spread from the live rock that you buy into the sand. If the LFS will sell you a scoopful of thier sand out of an established tank, that will be the best to get the dry sand seeded.

Also, save some money and buy most of your rock as dry base rock and then pick out a couple pieces of live rock to "seed" the dry stuff.

In my experience, the sand is best if it about sugar sized granuals or so. Any larger(like crushed coral) and it can start to collect the fish :pooh: and uneaten food. It also makes it hard for any creature that burrows in the sand to do so. Any smaller and it gets blown around too easily by the currents in the tank.

Also, just go with the dry sand instead of the "live" sand that is pre packaged. The bacteria will spread from the live rock that you buy into the sand. If the LFS will sell you a scoopful of thier sand out of an established tank, that will be the best to get the dry sand seeded.

Also, save some money and buy most of your rock as dry base rock and then pick out a couple pieces of live rock to "seed" the dry stuff.

Awesome. Thank you on the sizing. That is definitely helpful.

We got a pkg deal. 1 20# bag of sand and 25# LR are included with the tank. :) So even if I didn't want em, the $$ would be the same. But also good to know for when I move to a bigger tank.....coz I have a feeling I am going to. :D

+1 Bj
Since your getting the rock with the tank.Be sure to take a cooler or something to put some water in.That way you can make sure the rock is kept wet until you get it home and in the tank.

+1 Bj
Since your getting the rock with the tank.Be sure to take a cooler or something to put some water in.That way you can make sure the rock is kept wet until you get it home and in the tank.

Thanks! Ya, they said they wrap it in wet newspaper and I am thinking....hmmm... That doesn't seem very happy. Esp if there is a nice hitchhiker.

The wet newspaper will help.But its not as good as actually being wet.:D
Keeping the rock in some water will help keep any hitch hiking corals and sponges alive.Plus it'll cut down on the time it takes for the tank to cycle.
And trust me,a 1 or 2 week cycle is a whole better than a 3 month cycle.

The wet newspaper will help.But its not as good as actually being wet.:D
Keeping the rock in some water will help keep any hitch hiking corals and sponges alive.Plus it'll cut down on the time it takes for the tank to cycle.
And trust me,a 1 or 2 week cycle is a whole better than a 3 month cycle.

Ekkkk ! Ya I vote for 1-2 weeks!! LOL I am patient, but if I can cut out some time and still do it right I am all for that. :)

Bring a styrofoam box to put water in or a cooler. My LFS never sends people home w/ LR w/o giving them a container w/ water to carry them in. In fact, I ended up reusing the original styrofoam box everytime I get live stuff from there.

Most of us use aragonite for the substrate :)

1 to 2 inches of sand is perfect. Keep in mind, the more sand you have, the less space you'll have for water, rocks and animals. It's especially notiecable in a small tank.

Definitely go with sand and not crushed coral. Aragonite sand is the best.

One other thing.
Go a head and pick up a few pieces of the dry base rock.That way you can put the base rock in first,then the sand,and have a good foundation for the live rock.

One other thing.
Go a head and pick up a few pieces of the dry base rock.That way you can put the base rock in first,then the sand,and have a good foundation for the live rock.

+1 you want the rock to be touching the bottom of the tank, not on top of the sand. Sand Moves and can cause a "rock slide" eventually and busting your tank:death:

Back