Sankha's 200G reef build.

sankhamg

Reefing newb
Couple of weeks back my old tank glass blew and I had to restart the whole process of setting up a new tank. Anyways I thought this is a better opportunity to move to a bigger thank. I bought a 200G cube tank which I will be setting up through out the next couple of weeks. I'll keep it updated. :)

It's a 3x3x3 feet tank and I only realized when I bought it it's made of 10mm glass and I'm bit worried if it's enough to hold the water volume. Anyways just to be on the safe side I'm gonna apply clear shatterproof film on the glass so even if something happens it won't cause any damage to people around.

I'm going to take this opportunity to suggest that you research the things you put in your tank before you bring them home. I know you lost your last tank because a snail you didn't identify kept tapping on the glass. Maybe had you known what it was beforehand, you could have decided whether or not it was a good fit for your aquarium.

I'm going to take this opportunity to suggest that you research the things you put in your tank before you bring them home. I know you lost your last tank because a snail you didn't identify kept tapping on the glass. Maybe had you known what it was beforehand, you could have decided whether or not it was a good fit for your aquarium.

Yap thanks for the advice and I really value them :) anyways I'm running on a really bad luck these days. Couple of mins back I tried to drill the off flow of the new tank and it happens to be tempered glass. I found it out in the hard way! :( anyways now I'll have to replace the back glass with normal glass now! :( sometime these stuff get damn stressful! At least the glass chipped in a nice design! :P

Hey, I'm glad you are going to stay in the hobby, but I noticed some of the fish you like to buy require a lot of swimming room. (I know you have the cube tank already) You may want to think about getting a 6ft tank since you enjoyed tangs and what-not. Not enough swimming room can cause stress too the fish and lead to death. Since you have a cube, I'd steer clear of anything that requires a lot of swimming room.... but once again, glad you decided to keep on going! :)

Hey, I'm glad you are going to stay in the hobby, but I noticed some of the fish you like to buy require a lot of swimming room. (I know you have the cube tank already) You may want to think about getting a 6ft tank since you enjoyed tangs and what-not. Not enough swimming room can cause stress too the fish and lead to death. Since you have a cube, I'd steer clear of anything that requires a lot of swimming room.... but once again, glad you decided to keep on going! :)

Yap I would love to have a 6ft tank but the only problem is there is no space in my house which can fit a tank that size easily. I know it's small but this time I'm more interested in making a reef only tank specially because of the tank dimentions. Maybe I'll put a clown or two but will not add any tangs or any sort of fish which will require lot of space to swim. I recently got some Niger Triggerfish and blue face angels but I gave them away since my new tank won't be enough. Anyways thanks a lot for the feed back. Hopefully everything will go perfectly this time. :)

Yeah, Clowns, Gobies, Blennies, Wrasses! Lots to choose from still! What type of corals are you thinking?

LPS only cos SPS corals are pain to maintain. I already have couple of leather, mushroom, cup coral and few from my old tank. I want to have some hammer corals but its bit hard to find in Sri Lankan reefs.

Aww man, that sucks! Even if you are willing to pay a lot for it?

Problem is no body imports corals. All the stuff are exported to US and Europe. It's even hard to find all the good rare corals because all the good once get exported. Chancres are if your having any Asian fish or corals they are either imported from SL or Maldives. :)

Update 1 on my new tank. Tank is cycled and I'm adding livestock slowly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TveIU9sRP8Y]200 Gallon Reef Tank Update 1 - YouTube[/ame]

how long has this tank been up and running??

About 3 weeks. It finished the cycle in about 4 days since I used all live rock, live sand, miracle mud and filter material from an old tank straight. Even water was straight pumped from sea. Maybe that's why it cycled that fast.

You have anemone's already in the tank? I hate being police about this stuff but you're asking for dead anemone's... From what i've read it's HIGHLY recommended you wait at least 9 months to a year before adding any anemone's. With such a big tank that may be a little different for you but just giving you a heads up you could be headed for some rough times.

You have anemone's already in the tank? I hate being police about this stuff but you're asking for dead anemone's... From what i've read it's HIGHLY recommended you wait at least 9 months to a year before adding any anemone's. With such a big tank that may be a little different for you but just giving you a heads up you could be headed for some rough times.

I'm well aware of the risks and I know I have to wait a long time to add anemones but since my systems is not that new except for the glass display tank everything else is well over a year old. Also I'm doing regular water changes so the water parameters are quite good. This anemone was in my friends 500Gal tank and he had some amonia out burst and almost everything died so this is one of the survivors from that. I'm guessing it won't be a prob. Thanks for the input :)

No problem, was trying to sound as informative as I could instead of bossy. What kind of lights do you have over that beast? Plus you're probably about due for a very large Diatom outbreak lol... Love new tanks :P

Back