schooling fish

reefnoob

Reefing newb
I have a 90 gallon tank and I want to make it a reef tank. Anyone know of any schooling fish that are peaceful to each other and other species? I want to keep maybe 3 of the same fish together.

I would stay away from Cardinals, just plain boring in my opinion. Anthias will require much more feeding. Green or Blue Chromis would be okay.

I agree with cardinals being boring. I do love anthias, but they do need lots of food

What about dartfish?
Im not 100% sure but I know they are reef safe and peaceful

Dirty lies I say! I've had 3 banggai cardinals for a month now and they are anything but boring! They are always swimming around and they look awesome! Shame on all of you.

+1 on cardinals not being boring. I have 1 and he's a very social fish. Him and my cherub angel are buddies and swim together. I must admit that sometimes he has a creepy stare about him though.

I have a school of chromis that I inherited and wasn't too excited about but they have turned out to be really gorgeous and quite fun. They do this funny, hide and sneak out thing I like, their color is damn beautiful and I have to admit I am sold! I have 8 together with no problems so far (about 5 weeks). They have a jewled yellow tailed damsel with them and she pretends to be part of the school sometimes which is cool as she's about the same size at the moment and dark bodied with bright blue spots.

I have a school of chromis that I inherited and wasn't too excited about but they have turned out to be really gorgeous and quite fun. They do this funny, hide and sneak out thing I like, their color is damn beautiful and I have to admit I am sold! I have 8 together with no problems so far (about 5 weeks). They have a jewled yellow tailed damsel with them and she pretends to be part of the school sometimes which is cool as she's about the same size at the moment and dark bodied with bright blue spots.

So they don't fight? Do you think I could put 3 of them in my tank? I want them to form a small school. Are your chromis aggressive to other fish? Do they nip at corals?

They can be aggressive towards eachother, but to minimize this make sure you get an odd number, purchase them all the same size and feed a couple of times a day.

They are totally reef safe and wont bother anyone else

They can be aggressive towards eachother, but to minimize this make sure you get an odd number, purchase them all the same size and feed a couple of times a day.

They are totally reef safe and wont bother anyone else

So I can just buy 3 of them and its ok? Should I buy a particular species, or it doesn't matter? I've been thinking about the blue-green chromis, it looks very pretty.

it should be, just make sure they are feed. And you hardle ever see any other type of chromis for sale besides the blue/green reef chromis

+1 lil_fish, just make sure they are well fed.

I have had 7 chromis in my 180 for 9 months and I feed my tanks twice a day. They will chase each other, but I believe the larger the school the more the aggression is spread out among them so no one gets really singled out. At least that's the case with mine.

Back