Scissortail Goby schooling or not???

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hello,
We are having this discussion in our house. I find mixed info on this.

Has anyone had these gobies?

If so, do they do better in groups than solitary? I think they are cool fish and have thought about getting one it the future, but my son would like to have a firefish, which I know are schooling fish.

Thanks for the help. I sew so my son thought of getting me one of the scissortails for Christmas. I could call it Fiskar. We have a weird sense of humor around here.

Angie

I had a pair of them. They did fine in a pair. They should be fine in a group too. They are very similar to firefish, but a little more interesting looking, I think.

I have two scissortails in my tank and they get along well and do swim together.
Although I would not really call it schooling - more like shoaling.
They even exhibit coordinated strikes against my coral banded shrimp. For some reason they really hate that thing.

I do not know what kind of density would be required for scissortails to actually exhibit schooling behavior, or if they even do it at all in the wild.

I was reading up on some schooling fish not long ago, and I believe scissortail gobies were one of the types of fish that I was reading that school. They are definitely super cool looking.

Back