Scooter Bleeny

SoccerPro522

Reefing newb
Does anybody know if the scooter blennies or anything in that family eat flatworms. Ive read and heard various responses about this... some say it is the individual fish... while some say it is impossible and others say it is very likely to happen

I haven't heard that they do. But that doesn't mean that they won't. If you have enough flatworms that you can seem them on the rocks, glass or sand, then you've got more than a fish can handle. Have you tried Flatworm Exit?

well im really against using any kind of chemical to kill stuff off in my tank because i had a really bad experience with a chemical that on the bottle it said reef safe but it killed off my fragile corals so know i do everything a natural way. So the way im keeping the population in check is during water changes i take out infested rocks and wash them

I have a little flatworm problem myself. I have the Flatworm Exit and have been trying to find the time to deal with them. I have been sucking them out 4 or 5 at a time.

Coral banded shrimp might eat flatworms, but they might eat your fish too. :)

In general, wrasses are good flatworm eaters. Almost any kind of wrasse. Some mandarins will, but not all. Some damsels will, but not all.

With the Flatworm Exit, it's not the chemical in the Flatworm Exit that is toxic. It's the flatworms themselves. Flatworms release toxins.

I know but I just prefer natural extermination, I feel if you try to create the most natural environment then dont introduce all these crazy chemicals to rid of pests when there are plenty of natural ways to fix problems because nature doesnt present a problem that it cant fix... now for the mandirins they are the little green dragon looking fish correct and would coral banded shrimp introduced to a larger tank still be as aggressive toward smaller fish as it would be toward them in a small tank where small fish are common or does space not differ the aggression, and does having a mated pair increase or decrease aggression

I agree with you about chemical use in general, but our tanks are not natural by any means. We use a big glass box, synthetic salt, fake lights, equipment to filter the water, additives (chemicals) to balance out water chemistry, etc. You can't always fit nature's controls into your tank. ;)

Sometimes you have to make a choice. If a pest is going to take over the tank and kill things, is it worth it to not fight back? Flatworm Exit is very safe. If something dies because of it, it's because you had too many flatworms that died and released their toxins, not because of the Flatworm Exit.

There isn't a good way to naturally exterminate flatworms in our tanks. They multiply too quickly, and fish can't possibly keep up with them all by eating them.

And nature does present problems that it can't fix all the time. That's how natural extinctions happen.

The mandarins are the green fish, but they don't always eat flatworms. Sometimes they don't eat anything but one type of food, and starve to death in our tanks.

Coral banded shrimp are known to be aggressive towards fish regardless of the tank size. And I've never heard of them eating flatworms, although it's possible. As far as I know, you can't keep a pair of coral banded shrimp. They will fight.

Last edited:
Thanks Biff... im not saying that our tanks are natural but what Im saying is the whole goal of having a tank is to replicate nature and in order to do so I believe chemicals should be a last resort. What I will probably end up doing is getting like a six line wrasse and maybe a madarin but really not sold on it yet and let it/them work at the population them I will use the Flatworm X to destroy the remaining population just so their isnt a massive shock to the system when the flatworms die

Yeah, give the wrasse a shot. You can even get a couple wrasses (different types) to up the odds of them working. You might want to look into a leopard wrasse. I had one that ate flatworms.

divided-leopard-wrasse-1.jpg

If you get a leopard, don't get a lined wrasse. It will pick on the leopard till it jumps :grumble: If you do decide to get a lined wrasse, I'd pick a four line or mystery wrasse they're in the same family as the six line but, way cool and less common.

Back