scooter blenny

Kat

Reefing newb
Hi, I havent been here in a while because everything I learned here has kept my tank running well. the first question is about a purchase of a scooter blenny yesterday, I was told that he would be an easy keeper in a small tank. I guess I should have done some research before getting him but the websites I have visited have conflicting information some say yes, some say no. should I return him? also I changed light bulbs about a month ago and my mushrooms are all scrunched up most of the time, is this because of the lights? the only other animals in the tank are 1 small clown, 1 cleaner shrimp and hermits

A scooter blenny is technically a dragonet, which is harder to keep than blennies (other 'famous dragonets' are mandarins). Scooter blennies feed on the fauna in the sand, so in a small tank you run the risk of them running out of food and starving very quickly. Like mandarins, they can be "trained" to take frozen food, which helps a great deal. Is yours eating frozen food? If he is eating frozen food, I'd say he's okay as long as the clown doesn't bully him. 14 gallons is considered kind of small for them, but you can always trade him in when he outgrows the tank. If he's small, he'll be okay for a while.

As for the bulbs, just changing the bulbs wouldn't have hurt your mushrooms. If they are on a rock that you can move, you can try placing them at the bottom of the tank or in a shaded area. Being slightly shaded will usually make mushrooms open up more. Of course, this is assuming all your water parameters are on spot.

I fed some frozen shrimp but he dosent seem to be interested, yesterday after introduction he immidiately started feeding around the tank but today is just sitting in one spot. the clown was a little pissed at first but now dosent seem to pay any attention to him. I used a pipette to offer some shrimp to him but he just sat there. the tank tests out ok I will try to move the schrooms.

sounds like hes a pod eater only. I'd say to be safe take the scooter back. I have one in my 110, but I also have 180+lbs of sand for him to sift through for food, plus the live rock. I would say the same requirements for scooters should be followed as a mandarin-- lots of sand& live rock in a well established tank that has a refugium preferably.

You can try weening him to accept frozen food...place him in a seperate tank or container and feed him live brine and frozen mysis mixed twice daily, over time, reduce the amount of live brine and increase the frozen, until eventually all you will have him eating is frozen mysis...takes time and patience, but it is worth it...Good luck!

I decided to take him back, he is so cute and I would feel so bad if he died. the LFS had a yellow watchman goby would he be a better choice?

yes I think the watchman would be a better choice. They're also very cool, get a pistol shrimp with it and watch the fun!

Sounds like you have a good LFS. Mine talked me into buying a snowflake eel for my community tank for $25. Because theyre such friendly things, and wont bother anybody in the tank(all of my fish are under 2"). What a crock of shit. I got home, threw him in, did some research to find out what his main diet is. "Small fish". Those bastards!

Well it took me about 20 minutes to get it back out, and i took it back and asked if i could return or exchange. "Nope, we dont offer either". So I walked up to the couple that were admiring the other one in the aggressive tank, a bigger one worth $45. Right as they decided they wanted it, I handed them my bag and said they can have it free of charge. I don't think i've ever gotten such a dirty look as the LFS owner gave me.

Anyhow. My scooter blenny is by far my favorite fish, and from day one ate brine. He is one of my best cleaners, because all he does all day is scoot around(named scoot as well), and pick up extra brine missed by all of my fish. Funny how a $5 fish from petco is my favorite out of the hundreds of dollars worth in my tank. Sorry to hear you had to return it. If you ever upgrade to a larger tank, i HIGHLY reccomend one, theyre great lil guys!

Sounds like you have a good LFS. Mine talked me into buying a snowflake eel for my community tank for $25. Because theyre such friendly things, and wont bother anybody in the tank(all of my fish are under 2"). What a crock of shit. I got home, threw him in, did some research to find out what his main diet is. "Small fish". Those bastards!

Well it took me about 20 minutes to get it back out, and i took it back and asked if i could return or exchange. "Nope, we dont offer either". So I walked up to the couple that were admiring the other one in the aggressive tank, a bigger one worth $45. Right as they decided they wanted it, I handed them my bag and said they can have it free of charge. I don't think i've ever gotten such a dirty look as the LFS owner gave me.

Hahaha! That's a great story!

Back