Sea apples

mdottyp

Reefing newb
Hi, me and my wife have recently, started to keep marine fish we have 125L tank, at the moment i would say it is understocked, parameters all seem fine, and we have a white and blue bulbs, and we was wondering in purchasing a sea apple that we seen at our local aqurium shop, can any one give us any advice on this matter, if it is not a ideal coral for starters what is,:question: thanks

Well since you say you just set it up i would tell you that would be the biggest mistake you could make. 1st of all you have to have a very stable and mature tank. It should at the very least be one year established or it would probably die and then grenade your tank:death:. Your lfs store should have told you this but they just want your money:frustrat:. And it is not a beginner coral at all it is a very hard coral to keep. I have one and it is awsome but the lfs store I got it from wouldnt even sell it to me until I told them my tank was 4 years old. So i would think of another coral or you will just probably kill it. But they are beautiful arnt they:bowdown:

I have a very big red Sea Apple that I've had for about a year now. I got it after my set-up was going about a year. I did not research it at all so I think I have been lucky. I haven't had any problems with it and it recently survived through a major tank overheat crash. Can't really explain it, but it has lived and thrived when almost everything hasn't. It sure is pretty too!

With all that said, I think you should wait until your tank is at least 1 year old.

i had one for a couple years and that is about how long they live for. when they die in the tank they can destroy your tank. you have to keep a close eye on them. they can be just fine one day and melt away the next while relesing all their toxins in the tank killing everything in it.

And it is not a beginner coral at all it is a very hard coral to keep. I have one and it is awsome but the lfs store I got it from wouldnt even sell it to me until I told them my tank was 4 years old. So i would think of another coral or you will just probably kill it. But they are beautiful arnt they:bowdown:
Incorrect.:( It is not a coral.
Saltwater Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sea Apple

If so, it isnt a coral but related to the sea cucumber. It says expert only so I would avoid this being in a beginners tank.

Brian
Correct :)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/invert.htm

Moved to proper forum.

Last edited:
Sea apple need to be kept in a mature system 6 months to a year before adding one. They are toxic so if you keep one you should also run carbon so if something happens and it releases its toxins, the carbon will pull them out (hopefully before any livestock is affected by it)

Also I wouldn't recommend one at all in a smaller aquarium. such as yours.

Back