Sea Live Rock ?

newbeetwo

Here to 8 on the break
I want to go to the coast and get some live rock right out of the sea.:lamp5: I need about 100#more ....So make the trip 5 1/2 hrs.:moped: to get there...find the rock ..then need to keep the rock wet... Then WHAT???? ... will it be ok? I need to QT it right ? do I wash it? Bleach it.? in the sun or out of the sun ? how long befor I can tell if it good rock or trash... When I pick up the rock is there a trick to it? ... can't be easy or everyone would do it. ( right )can I bring something back that I can't fix? ........:HELP!: so can ya'll give me some idea's on this ... trips not for 2 weeks.. Is this a good idea? or do I need to spend 8.99lbs. and get what they have.... or can I pick my own...I don't think they will be pretty peaces but all I really need is some base rock to put under what I have now... :shocking:I don't want to do anything to mess up my tank But the rock does come from the sea right?

there's two reason why most people don't collect rocks from shore.

1)Its usually against the law.

2)The shoreline is the oceans skimmer so most of the time those rocks are to polluted to put in a home aquaria.

Suck it up!This hobby isn't cheap but if your looking for rocks for less money,try online.You can get 50lbs of Fiji live rock from Drfostersmith.com for around $160 including shipping.That comes out to a little for $3 a pound.You can always get base rock(dry) from the LFS and seed it with a few pounds of live.Here dry is only $1-2 a pound.

It would be much cheaper to buy the rock than the jail time and legal fees you will incur for removing anything from the shores, which are protected by State AND Federal laws. As already mentioned buy dry or wet base rock to build up your reaf and then buy some premium live rock to top it off and seed your system with coralline algea. It will take time for the coralline to spread and grow but it will save you money.

Some coastal states MAY allow you to harvest your own rock if you purchase the right permits.
But I also agree with everybody else.You could cause yourself some real head aches,even if you can get your own rock legally.
Just not worth it to me.

you also don't know what you will be getting on the rock. Many fish stores will inspect their rocks they get to make sure they are not covered with aptasia or nasty worms. My LFS has a QT for LR they get in that is not ready to sell and they wait until they can make it so. If you collect your own - no idea waht hitchhikers you will get that could really screw up your system. Imagine not knowing there was an octopus hanging out in a crevice and BAM no more fishies.

Best bet is to always but from a reputable dealer.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back