Sea urchin sting

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ouch, what a gooood morning, was moving frags around in the frag rack because they werent getting enough light and the sea urchin was on the glass and he stung me! SOB got a bit of his spine lodged in my arm.

Nice little black spot sitting there, I decided to check up and these bastards are poisonous! grr, so you are meant to go and get the spine cut out of your arm, but other sites are saying just leave it, it will disolve but there will be a LOT of pain. So now im waiting for the pain to set in and its meant to hurt more tomorrow. good work josh XD

oh well. Cant be too bad? anyone been stung like this by their urchin? if not, be careful.

I'm no expert, but I'd remove the spine. It doesn't make sense to me how it would dissolve. Whenever you are stung by other stuff, you should remove the part that stung you. Or else it will just get irritated and could get infected.

Pics needed, of course.

pics or it never happened? :P

its already looking better the black spot has disappeared. everywhere j looked they said it dissolves. I also put vinegar on it. the irritation has stopped but it it a bit sore.

the spines are meant to dissolve to release the toxin. and they have barbs to stop removal unless you cut the flesh off.

They do have barbs on the spines,and the spines do dissolve to release the venom.
BUT,those barbs are small.OH it'll hurt like a sum beach when you pull em out,but its better then letting them dissolve.
So grow a pair,grab some twezzers and start pullin.

Back