SeaClone Protein Skimmer

dawneanddonv

Reefing newb
Have had this skimmer for about 6 months and it was working real good. Then did a water change and now it is making micro-bubbles and is not skimming. It is also pulsing like it is not getting enough power or something. Does any one know what is going on?

try taking apart the maxi-jet and clean it real well, it's worth a shot I suppose.

On another note, a seaclone is pretty underpowered for a 125, if it doesn't work you should check into something like a reef octopus nw-150, it's the bee's knees for sure.

Nathan is right, SeaClones work okay for 30 gallon tanks and smaller. But really cannot cut it for anything larger. You may think it's working now, but you'd be amazed at the kind of gunk a good quality skimmer would pull.

As to why it's stopped working, when you did the water change, did you use tap water? And if so, did you use any sort of water conditioner or dechlorinator? If you use a skimmer, you can't use chemicals like those, they will make your skimmer screw up for several days to several weeks. You should only be using RODI water.

Nathan is right, SeaClones work okay for 30 gallon tanks and smaller. But really cannot cut it for anything larger. You may think it's working now, but you'd be amazed at the kind of gunk a good quality skimmer would pull.

As to why it's stopped working, when you did the water change, did you use tap water? And if so, did you use any sort of water conditioner or dechlorinator? If you use a skimmer, you can't use chemicals like those, they will make your skimmer screw up for several days to several weeks. You should only be using RODI water.

Thanks Biff, I didn't know that conditioners and de-chlorinators would screw with the skimmer.

yea me neither, when i started my tank, and was more ignorant than i am now, i was using tap and the yellow bottle stuff to fill the tank, now that i got smarter, i use only ro-di,
anyway, when i started out i was constantly complaining that my crappy lil red sea prizm skimmer wouldnt do crap but overflow, i had no idea it was the chems in the water...

SeaClones WILL NOT work okay for 30 gallon tanks and smaller.

I fixed it for you biff

I had a sea clone and it was worthless. I beleive most of us buy something without proper reseach before hand especially when new to the hobby. Still looking for an affordable hang on back skimmer since I dont have a sump

Brian

I hear that alot about the seaclone but I have one and have to empty it once every week or week and a half. It does need some monitoring and if its on the back of your tank you have to make sure the water level is up but other than that i havent had a prob. I did change the air valve from the one that came with it though.

The thing is, you say you empty the Sea Clone every week and a half, and you think that's a sign that the skimmer is working.

I guarantee you, if you replaced the Sea Clone with a better skimmer, you'd be emptying it every other day or so. That is where the big difference is -- you don't realize what a crappy piece of equipment it is until you see how much better other things work!

The thing is, you say you empty the Sea Clone every week and a half, and you think that's a sign that the skimmer is working.

I guarantee you, if you replaced the Sea Clone with a better skimmer, you'd be emptying it every other day or so. That is where the big difference is -- you don't realize what a crappy piece of equipment it is until you see how much better other things work!

Ok I guess you are prob right cause I dont really know. Cause I dont or havent had a better one. So what do you recommend?

Hmmmmm.... You answered another question I had previously.... I guess I need to adjust my Reef-O a bit more then.... Cause I am emptying mine every week. Looks like I need to turn up the juice!

Back