seaclone question

bri74

Reefing newb
I have had a seaclone skimmer its been running for about 8 months in my tank I know many do not like these skimmers but it seems to be doing ok I think... I was curious how I would know if the skimmer is not doing its job well. I test my params once a week and all is good. Just curious if there would be any signs of it not working other than params changing? cause they are stable all the time

I know tomorrow Biff and others will dog out a Seaclone.If your parameters are in check,then it has to be working okay for you.As long as you're getting some kind of skimmate then its working.I'm not familar with the Seaclone but it helps to clean the venturi every couple of months with freshwater.

I get skimmate but not alot about a half inch every couple days but as long as the water is in check I guess its good????

Check out seaclone modes on reef central. You make a small slit through the center of the blades on the impeller, and glue in a piece of mess that is the same size as the impeller. You can also do things like cut a small whole in the center of the collection cup and run an air stone to make more bubbles the wooden air defusers work the best. They also talk about making the tube in the collection cup shorter.

I been running a seaclone on my 30gal for a little over a year now.Their not the best by any means,but their also not the worst.
As long as your parameters are stable and its producing bubbles,then why bother it?

Ya it sounds good to me guess I will keep using it just didnt know what the telltale signs or if there were any signs that it wasnt working well enough.

I will add that if you plan on getting more fish or corals, you should look into a better skimmer. The Seaclone will work for lightly stocked tanks and animals that don't demand high water quality, but I wouldn't rely on it to keep my reef tank going.

i just bought one of these as well without reading up on it and was wondering why they are so bad. im not the best DIY guy and dont want to chop up a brand new skimmer.

They just don't work well... Not sure why. But if you compare the gunk that a SeaClone pulls out of the water to a better quality skimmer that is comparable in price, there's just no contest. The SeaClone just doesn't get the job done for most tanks. I mean, they work fine if all you want are a couple fish, but if you try to stock even moderately, it won't cut it.

i paid 70 brand new. i didnt see anything that compaired for that price. i only want a few fish but i do want some good hardy corals. will more water changes work if i use this skimmer untill the tank if fully established. for a year or so??? people have mixed thoughts. some say junk and others say they never ha a problem with it. should i give it a shot??? thanks for the help...

Yeah it should work fine if you don't keep too many fish. Let your water quality be your guide -- if you have problems keeping your nitrates low, then it's time to upgrade skimmers. With weekly water changes of 10 to 20% you should be fine.

Back