Seahorse babies!

TONY10664

Reefing newb
Hello All,

We've had two male and two female seahorses for a few months and they finally mated. We've had several frye of babies which we've isolated in a separate tank. We feed them live brine shrimp as suggested by the fish store we frequent and would like to know if any one has had success with keeping the babies alive to maturity for any length of time? We've been through several frye if that's what you call them and haven't had luck with maintaining them for more then a few weeks. Any tricks of the trade. We have them in a 5 gallon tank with just an airater since the small filter we had was too strong and would just blow them around the tank. We have a heater and some cale :whoopee!: urpa and some fake coral to latch onto and a piece of live rock. Any suggestions or experience would be a great help! Thanks! Tony

Well the only thing I would suggest is making sure the water in the 5G is perfect and changed often to keep it perfect then I would recommend that you try to not over feed but to get the food closer to the babies. They are not able to move very well even when compared to baby brine so the food needs to be very close to them for them to catch it. You might even try a smaller tank like a 1G or even a 1/2G due to the size of the babies and the food if you feed enough to get the food by the babies in your 5G your water will be sewage in the morning and if you don't the babies slowly starve to death. As they grow move them to larger and larger tanks but obviously not to large. They also need lots of places to hang on to not just a couple especially when young. So try putting something like toothpicks (obviously not toothpicks themselves) but something similar so they can latch on easily. I hope something here helps!

baby seahorses require almost constant exposure to live brine shrimp nauplii. 6 weeks longest i have keep fry but havent tried for over 20 years now. good luck.

Hello,Ive got some freinds on another forum that keep fry and raise so if you would like you could check this out www.dfwmas.org I think they might just have some tips that you could use,look under the thread seahorse.good hunting

How long do the live brine shrimp last?

Thank you for all the information you've provided us! It's been a great help. We're feeding the seahorse frye San Francisco bay brand hatch mix in a coke bottle with an air pump. It says they should hatch within 1-3 days and they usually do on day 3, we're not feeding the shrimp anything so we're not sure how long the live brine shrimp live after the 3 days. Does anyone know how long they last after they hatch? Thank you again! Tony

Back