Semi Newbi

kenpo154

Reefing newb
Hello everyone ! Iam from central massachusetts and i am a semi newbi. About 15 years ago I had a 30 gallon long salt fish only aquarium. It had a under gravel filter with 2 power heads at the top of the tubes, a whisper hang on back filter and used dolomite for substrate. The tank had city water with conditioner and it gave me 4 years of enjoyment. After a while I had a very bad green hair algea problem , I used scissors to trim the finger coral and it would grow right back. My new tank will be a 29 gallon reef, I am waiting to receive my aqua c remora s protein skimmer wich is in the mail as I write this.Also got the marineland reef capable LED light with timer and I have two bags of Carib fiji pink live sand. Will be using base rock with live rock combo.This tank will not have a hang on back filter, I have an aqueon 500 circulating pump and a 150 watt heator. I am taking my time buying supplies after reading alot of posts on this forum. I will keep you all informed on my progress.

sincerely; kenpo154

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Ya most people dont use hang on back filters.....but I do. :D I have a sump/ refugium and a hang on back filter. I like it because it gives me added flow cheap, a nice ripple on the top of the display tank and it is easy to run carbon in. Much simpler the a GFO/carbon reactor imho. The problems you had before was because of the undergravel filter. In the 90's I ran one (we all did) they just turn into nitrate factories which causes excess nutrients which fuels hair algae.

Back