Semi Newbi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kenpo154, Apr 10, 2013.

1. kenpo154

kenpo154

Hello everyone ! Iam from central massachusetts and i am a semi newbi. About 15 years ago I had a 30 gallon long salt fish only aquarium. It had a under gravel filter with 2 power heads at the top of the tubes, a whisper hang on back filter and used dolomite for substrate. The tank had city water with conditioner and it gave me 4 years of enjoyment. After a while I had a very bad green hair algea problem , I used scissors to trim the finger coral and it would grow right back. My new tank will be a 29 gallon reef, I am waiting to receive my aqua c remora s protein skimmer wich is in the mail as I write this.Also got the marineland reef capable LED light with timer and I have two bags of Carib fiji pink live sand. Will be using base rock with live rock combo.This tank will not have a hang on back filter, I have an aqueon 500 circulating pump and a 150 watt heator. I am taking my time buying supplies after reading alot of posts on this forum. I will keep you all informed on my progress.

sincerely; kenpo154

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    kenpo154, Apr 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. kenpo154

Ted Living one day at a time

Welcome to the forum. Ya most people dont use hang on back filters.....but I do. :D I have a sump/ refugium and a hang on back filter. I like it because it gives me added flow cheap, a nice ripple on the top of the display tank and it is easy to run carbon in. Much simpler the a GFO/carbon reactor imho. The problems you had before was because of the undergravel filter. In the 90's I ran one (we all did) they just turn into nitrate factories which causes excess nutrients which fuels hair algae.

Ted, Apr 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. kenpo154

Smitty

Hello and welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Smitty, Apr 10, 2013
  4. kenpo154

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

Hello and welcome to the boards!

salt_for_brains, Apr 10, 2013
  5. kenpo154

Waddi Shenanigans? VIP Member

Welcome to the Reef mate!

Waddi, Apr 10, 2013
  6. kenpo154

Becky Administrator

Welcome aboard! :wave: