Setting up Refugium

staceyfenea

Reefing newb
I am setting up a refugium. Is it better to use live sand or just sand? To get the pod population started do you get Tigger Pods?

Plain sand is fine, since it will be live in no time. If you want, take a cup of sand from your display tank, and scatter it above your fuge sand, and that'll seed it. Is the refugium going to be attached to the main tank? Or its own entity?

While I have you on the line (LOL). I have a 55 gal currently but plan to upgrade in the next year to a 125. Would It be ok to put a Foxface in my current aquarium since I will be upgrading before he gets to big?

Well, Tang police officially say NO lol If you get a really small foxface, then it should be ok. Don't quote me on that or else i'll end up in jail for passing on bad advice :D Nah, it should be fine. You're like me...I started with a 45g...6 months later, I purchsed a 125g, and 6 months after that, I now have a 125g :D I did it mainly so I could get a tang and foxface ;)

I use miracle mud actually. I only need 1" of it to be effective. A refugium, though, typicall does a deep sand bed of 5"...but I know a lot of people who use just maybe 1 or 2" due to space restraints (if you make it too deep, you run out of vertical space.)

If you want a deep sand bed (DSB), then at least 3" deep. Unless your using that miracle mud, I don't know about that stuff. But usually people recomend 6" of sand for a DSB. At about the 3" depth the sand is free of oxygen and aneropbic bacteria will develop which will absorb nitrates. A DSB takes a few months to develop bacteria and start working. It can't get mixed up or it will poison the tank.

If you only will have macro algae and pods then 1" of sand or gravel will work.

Back