Setup questions!

nanodiva

Reefing newb
Hey guys I'm new to the "Big" tank builds and need some help.

Got a 65 gal. got a 40 gal for a Sump .

But... WTH!?!?!

I need some help here guys I am a big DIY fan and my hubby thinks it will be a good project for me since it can be time consuming and keep my concentration (i just miscarried my first pregnancy and before anyone says anything apologetic wise, we are fine and over it for the most part).

I have basic plans for a Sump , overflow ect that i made but while i use to be good at math, apparently NOT anymore lol , how do you figure out what size return pump ect ect you need when doing the plumbing?

Also how do you figure out how much water flows through your overflow to figure out your return pump size?

The Sump plans have a fuge section as well as an area for equipment (skimmer ect ect)

As well any recommendation on a skimmer?

We are doing the DIY live rock (I'm picky with scapeing my tanks). I'm planning around 70 lbs or a little more for the DIY stuff and around 10lbs in rubble and 3 larger live rocks for in the tank.

Aragonite sand for a sand bed ranging from 2-3 inches in the display.

Also what heater recommendations do you have for a setup that size?

Total water would be around 95 gallons...?

Once I get to my moms place to use her scanner I will scan in some sketches of the approx. info stuff for Sump design and overflow.

Dimensions for the tank and Sump are as follows:
Display Tank (67 gallons) : 48"x18"X18"
Sump (40 gallons) : 36"x12"x24"

Any ideas or references would be AWESOME! and ANY recommendations or product reviews you have from experience would be awesome! as well as advice on designing and plumbing this whole thing! Its definitely going to be a long road before I get this baby up (not for another 10 months at least) but if I can get stuff figured out before I move then it will be easier to set up once I get to the new place

Thanks Guys!

Hello, and I will say Im sorry for your loss, my wife and I lost one as well.

We can help with all your questions...

This hobby all depends on what you want to spend.....

I like Reef Octopus skimmers, work really well and are not really expensive, you can spend a lot more if you like.

I think two inches of sand is too much, I had that much and I had to lower it down to 1/2 inch, and stay with the larger size sand, I had the sugar grain size, and it had to come out as well.

Heater, I like the titanium one, about 200w or better. Nice remote thermostat adjustment too, about $30.

Water gallons is determined by the size of the overflow, not always the pump, that is, you can have a pump with too much flow rate and the overflow cant keep up, so the sump runs dry. Most people "throttle back" thier return pump, and divert some water to the skimmer. I would say a Mag 7 or 8 should be suffecient, and I would also get a cheaper pump for a back up.

Ask all you need, we are here to try and help[.

What about your light? Go for a TEK light if you want T-5, seem to be good light a good price.

Bonsai!!!!

Morning..

As far as return pump from sump .. you would like to have at least 10 times per hour
the tank size.. as far as pump size better to go overboard on the pump, put a ball valve coming off the pump to slow down the flow from the pump to match the overflow speed,, I would reccomend a 800 gph overflow.. Dont forget due to any elbows and length of pipe you will lower the pump volume per hour.. I would go with a pump of at least 1100gph, or in that area...
Some say the ball valve will shorten pump life but as I have found over the years it hasn't shortened my pumps life at all.. As far as rock, I am assuming you mean getting dry rock.. I would reccomend either bulk reef supply , or the one I chose was marco rocks...Dont get live sand I would get the Aragonite but it will liven up itself...I would go 3 inches on the sandbed and would reccomend going 4 times water volume or more on the heater so a 300 or 400 watt heater.. this will lget the most efficiency out of the heater and be cheaper on the wallet... One more reccomandation, make sure you have enough flow inside your tank ( depending on what is going in) softies desire a less flow while LPS corals need 20 to 40 times per hour and SPS corals needing up to 80 times per hour of water movement.. Hope this helps and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong on any point :Cheers:... hope I didnt forget anything .. forgot all the questions I think ..:frustrat:

+1 to the guys

But i have a few additional points.

Heaters are the number 1 thing to break in this hobby, i would get two smaller heaters so you have a backup

Also, i agree using the half inch sand bed. At that hight it cant trap much junk and cause terrible problems if stirred up and a bunch of gunk is release into the water. 3 inches is not deep enough to have a deep sand bed (needs to be at least 4 inches for a deep sand bed) and you have to be very careful to never disturb the deeper sand beds because all sorts of nasty things can become trapped in them.

I agree with the two heater setup .. I put a 300 and 400 on my 150..
And I also went with titanium...

Last edited:
i normally run a back up heater because i had one bad experience with a heater bumming out on me in the middle of winter in one of my old freshwater tanks.
good to see a general consensus on what brand.

i'm not sure on MHor t5's yet try to decide exactly what i want to do with corals first (hubby has to agree and pick some he likes since he has to look at the tank to lol.... not to mention he is the one who works and will be paying for it all hehe.... :D )

For the rock we are getting live rock to mix with some DIY dry rock (the aragocrete stuff) i have made it before and used in in my smaller nano tanks. i like how you can make it what you want it and not be limited off the rock you get when using all live rock based on the pieces that places have.

I'm going with a 2-3 inch sand bed based off experience and preference. (i don't like disturbing the sand bed very much to begin with....) I try and avoid the "live sand" i figure the live rock is enough to add to it and i have friends that have all offered one cup of sand from their tank so i can add just as much diversity to it that way, my opinion on the "live sand" is how long is the bacteria and things going be be "alive" in an air tight plastic bag for possible months on end with drastic temp. changes during shipping and while in warehouses?

I was thinking of having a couple smaller power heads randomly throughout the tank at different levels (middle and bottom) and having one bigger "wave maker" style one near the top. I am planning a mix of softies, sps, and lps so hence the reason for different power heads (i always have one thats for the back of the tank near the bottom to help prevent build up back there because i HATE trying to turkey baste the back of tanks due to my height (i'm short lol).)

i have heard of a few people using the reef octopus ones and was considering them but when it comes to skimmers my head goes *BOOM* lol same as math on flow through the sump. it generally goes ok..... now what lol

Thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated!

The reef octopus skimmers are great, and you want to get one rate for double your setup volume.

Also, your sand is going to become live over time not matter what you do, but i do agree, buying live sand is a waste of money

The reef octopus skimmers are great, and you want to get one rate for double your setup volume.

Also, your sand is going to become live over time not matter what you do, but i do agree, buying live sand is a waste of money

yea its the diversity factor (if the rock is all coming from the same source likeliness is allot of the growth will be similar) my friend has a 500 gallon tank in their basement that the sand will be coming from and they got rock from like 10 different sources so there is LOADS of variety (i know i said a cup but we are pretty much switching up where ismy sand, ok now i'll fix your computer for you. lol) i'll likely be getting 5+ pounds of sand from a WELL established tank to help give me a jump start. they said they would give me what i needed... (i'll take all of it please lol)

the reason we are even getting the sand off them is allot of the rock will be dry rock to start so it gives it a chance to seed a little faster (i'm trying to convince my friends to let me buy this one really pretty rock that only has one shroom on it and i told them i was willing to frag off the shroom that way they still have it lol i just love the shape of it.)

But yea once i draw up the general idea for what my rock scape will look like i'll post it to give you guys an idea of what it will look like (i draw out each individual piece i wanna make before i make it as well)

i'm saying it will likely be around a year before the tank actually gets set up and cycling to give me a chance to get everything going and get the rock made and ready. (and me moved to iowa) once i am down there then it will be easier to get stuff done!

Back