sharks?????

This is one shark that is successfully kept, but needs a large aquarium for room to swim in and excellent filtration! These are among the smallest of sharks at about 40 inches. Adults of the Bamboo Shark, Brown-spotted Cat Shark, or Brown-banded Catshark can be kept reasonably well in a 150 gallon or larger aquarium.

depends, are you planning on upgrading it when it grows or getting rid of it? even a baby cat shark will need about 4ft of swimming space and an adult up to 6ft.

So your look at least 125 gallons for the small one and 180g is absolute bare minimum IMO

Even then, No one here will recommend that including me and growth always depends, sometimes there is exponential growth and other times it slows. Also depends on feeding frequency

418 gallon tank,correct?

This kind
funny20cat20shark.jpg

or this kind?
p-78114-Black-Banded-Shark.jpg

I don't recommend the first.:mrgreen: but a 418g. is plenty big enough for the first one.

hahah no 418 aquarium tank is the brand lol i didnt think it was gonna be such a large tank my lfs was wanting like 30 bucks and he said a 55 was sufficient,well imma correct him tommorow

IMO you shouldn't/won't keep a shark in anything less than a 300g tank. Sharks need an enormous amount of room to lay comfortably on a sand bed (anything other than fine sand will scratch them). They also need swimming room..They get close or slightly more than 3' long. I can't imagine having a 3' creature in a 6 foot tank..IMO that's cruel. Lastly, as they get larger they need at least 1.5 or 2 x their length so they can turn around.

Some animals should just stay in the ocean.

sharks=180+

don't follow my example... I have one but its going to a new home in less than a month :) i work at an aquarium where I can take the shark there when I'm gone and I know its gonna be healthy and happy there.... most places will tell you 55 is fine but I have one in a 75 (which is basically like you living in your bathroom. you can move but not at 100% comfortability) but she doesn't even belong in one that size. I wouldn't suggest trying to keep one... Sharks are expert only and most cat sharks are hard to get-and keep, eating. I have 8 years under my belt working with sharks so I know quite a bit about how to tend to their needs and I'm aware of what I'm doing. Mine will be living in a 210g tank for the first few years and then upgrading as she grows larger... can yours be housed like that?

IMO you shouldn't/won't keep a shark in anything less than a 300g tank. Sharks need an enormous amount of room to lay comfortably on a sand bed (anything other than fine sand will scratch them). They also need swimming room..They get close or slightly more than 3' long. I can't imagine having a 3' creature in a 6 foot tank..IMO that's cruel. Lastly, as they get larger they need at least 1.5 or 2 x their length so they can turn around.

Some animals should just stay in the ocean.

I agree

Back