shipped fish

poolshark181

Reefing newb
how long should one wait on buying a fish after the lfs gets a shipment in? i saw them acclimate a shipment in today. the lfs suggested i wait about 24 hours to see if any of the new arrivals have any problems before purchasing. is this true?

I would ask them to hold it for you for at least a week.They already gone through hell to get to the LFS.Disease,illness,and if they are eating well can take longer than 24hrs. for something bad to show up.

absolutly listen to reeffreak. Wait a week. The problem is, many times, a good looking specimen will not hang around a week and you will not get your fish. I would talk to your LFS owner and make a deal to purchase the fish as the shipment arrives and have them hold it a week to watch it and after it is eating, take it home. You want to watch for fin damage, ICH, lethargic swimming, laying down on the bottom of the tank, not eating, all of which can happen during the first 48 hours. strike up a good relationship with your LFS and you will get first pick of the stock.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Good advise. The only thing I have to add is use a Q-t tank if you want to buy one right away.

I would ask them to hold it for you for at least a week.They already gone through hell to get to the LFS.Disease,illness,and if they are eating well can take longer than 24hrs. for something bad to show up.

I agree 100%.
I been working part time at a LFS for a while now,and Ive seen fish that came in do great for a week then die for no apparent reason.
Plus most stores will hold any fish you want.You might have to go ahead and pay for the fish,But if you really like it and plan on going back to get,then That shouldnt be no problem.

true..wait 24 hrs or so..look at them at feeding time etc...make your LFS your best friends on this...this way you can invest your money correctly..

Back