Shoaling fishes

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I just recently purchased 2 Anthias...The goal is to have 1 male and approx. 4-6 females. (Mine are orange Anthias)...anyway about 2 weeks ago I ran across a very interesting article in Coral Magazine in regard to shoaling fishes, and how Chromis, Anthias, and others are clearly shoaling fishes, but in the confines of our aquariums they tend to stop this behavior, separate or fight to the death. Which is obviously not natural.

Here is the article..very interesting read.

Coral - January/February 2011

I currently have 3 chromis and 2 anthias. I'm going to try and mimic this behavior, in order to keep the fish acting as they would in the wild with small regular feedings. Afterall, in the wild, if a fish sees food it eats it. It all depends on how often it sees food. that being said, we're programming our fish to eat once a day or every other day, because that is "our" schedule..not theirs.

So this will be day one of the experiment. First off, I don't want to over feed, and end up crashing my tank...Fortunately for me, all of my fish (with the exception of the Anthias) have been together for over a year. so none of them are shy when they hear the dinner bell.

So here's the plan....

Pull out enough food for my "normal" daily feeding. and break it into 6 different meals.

8:00 am Lights on.

2 Morning 8am 10 am
2 Afternoon 12pm 2pm
2 Evening. 4pm 6 pm

6:30 lights off

I know this isn't the same as what the author did in 2-7 minute intervals. But this is the best that I can do for my theory, and my work schedule.

My thoughts are that if fed multiple times per day, the fish will act as they would in the wild. After all, especially with herbivores...they are "grazers" they're programmed by nature to eat all day long.

So those are my thoughts...We'll see what happens...If anything.

I read another similar article about anthias not long ago and the author of that one concluded that shoaling fish don't mimic the same behavior in our tanks because the fear of predators eventually go away after being in our tanks for a while. I'd be very interested in following your progress.

Good luck :Cheers:

You are going to feed six times a day?!?!Are you a house husband like Nemo.

Good luck to you,interesting.If you ever seen reef videos of anthias in the wild.There are hundreds of them and different species together.It's hard to establish a true harem with just a few of them and of course no threat like BL mentioned.

Back