Shocking OUCH!!

Stupidsreef

Reefing newb
For the last few day's I've been getting shocked from my tank's system. Just touch the water and :zap:!! I've been here before, this aint the first time. So now I'm thinking :grumble: Damnit I know what I have to do here. Here goes the fun. So I started the process of unpluging things one at a time and then touching the water :zap:. Yea this sucks. So after 3 day's and a few dozen time's the volts have now cause certain parts of my body to shrink and shrivle when I walk into the fish room. Man was it is :frustrat: !! Now I look like this :zombie: and I don't know how much more I can take. My left forearm look's like popeye's!! I tried to get my 6 year old son to touch the water, but he just kept laughing at me, saying do it again Dad!! Never thought it was all that funny myself, glad I could entertain him.:grumble: At least I have a loving wife.....She said, good you deserve it, after all the floods you've have I hope it take's you a week to find what it is.

So as strong as it was, I was looking at something pulling a lot of current. Until I grabbed the cord to a Maxi-jet Mod :zap::shocking::zombie: !!! I came alive, I felt it in the back of my brain, as I heard my son laugh uncontrolably trying to say do it again Daddy! I've been hit by 220 that didn't hurt this bad. I had to shut the panel box down that runs this system to unplug the Maxi-jet. The cord that come's on it ( which is underwater in the tank) had worn a bare spot in it. This one was only maybe a month old, pretty new to do that.

So to those of you using Maxi-jet's if you ever suddently get a buzz. Don't call me. I will not touch your water. But try starting with these power heads. This is the second one that's done this to me. The first one was a pump about 6 years old, but this time the pump was really new. That grounding rod is starting to sound like a good investment.

LOL! Too funny!!!!!!! You've got to put up a video! Oh, you know, they sell thingys that will check that for you at Home Depot. They are very cheap and easy to use although not as much fun and you wouldn't become a candidate to win the Darwin Award(http://www.darwinawards.com/) Thanks, I needed a good laugh today!

Catherine

:squint:
I must say If it wasn't me I'd be rolling on the floor laughing, Just like my son was. I figured folks here would get a good laugh out of it.

The first time it happened the shock was more like a buzz, nothing to bad, and my son was the one who found something was wrong. He open the sump door's and touch the water.....Man the look on his face!! I couldn't stop laugh at him. Funny he didn't find it so funny. This time though, it was much worst, it was a forceful bite!! Oddly he found it down right WOOHOO:whoopee!:.:shock:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

I'm having a lot of trouble imagining exactly what happened from your description. I think you should do a video re-inactment and post that for us, please!

Catherine

I beat you do. I can't even post pics, I got a virus from somewhere that messed up the software. If before that we tried to DL our son'd b-day vids and didn't have the right software or something. So sorry to break your heart, no video. Beside's I don't I could take hearing my son laugh so hard again.

Ummm you could've just gotten a $10 voltmeter from a hardware store, and tested the water with that, instead of yourself...

Can you put them in water?? I didn't know you could submerge them. I'm looking into one of the Ground probes for the tank. They cost like $10 at premium aquatics, will that help if another one does this??

I gotta do something before Picasso pee's all over herself laughing.

Biff's right, of course, I've got a meter where It has a little clip at the end. You clip the end onto the wire in question and it tells you if the current is ok or if there is a problem. Safety is very important. Unless, you do want to win a Darwin Award?

stu is a funny guy, i've watched him shock himself before touching his sump, funny shit man, its hard not to bust out laughing.

Stu,Next time that happens.If you'll stick your tongue in the water,it'll let you know right where the shorts at:mrgreen:

Asking your kid to touch the water reminds me of when I was younger. My dad used to fix alot of small engines for people and guess who got to see if there was a spark. He would laugh because I kind of liked it.

Asking your kid to touch the water reminds me of when I was younger. My dad used to fix alot of small engines for people and guess who got to see if there was a spark. He would laugh because I kind of liked it.

that reminds me of when we would put up a new electric fence and my dad and grandpa would tell us kids to pee on it to see if it was working. never did but i bet it would hurt.

D.french, has wittnessed it yes. He laughed too.

Alto, yes I tried to get my son to touch it, but I guess he's smarter than that.

And Yote.....Hummmmm, I think you are like all my other friends. I think I'll not trust your advise on this one.

Biff, I've got the issue tixed and thanks for that Article too.

:)

that reminds me of when we would put up a new electric fence and my dad and grandpa would tell us kids to pee on it to see if it was working. never did but i bet it would hurt.

Didn't you see that MythBusters episode? Urinating on an electrified fence or rail would not hurt you. The stream doesn't stay constant enough to transmit a current!

Back