Should I buy this tang?

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
So i have wanted one of these for years! Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Acanthurus nigricauda

They are damn hard to find and the divers den has one.... obviously. I have a 180 (for those that dont know) and a Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus currently in there. also 3 chromis, a sixline, and a juv koran angelfish (pomacanthus semicirculatus) , and pink tail triggerfish

What say the masses? should i pull the trigger on this guy? im not really looking for any big advice here. just on the fence about risking it.

So i have wanted one of these for years! Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den - Acanthurus nigricauda

They are damn hard to find and the divers den has one.... obviously. I have a 180 (for those that dont know) and a Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus currently in there. also 3 chromis, a sixline, and a juv koran angelfish (pomacanthus semicirculatus) , and pink tail triggerfish

What say the masses? should i pull the trigger on this guy? im not really looking for any big advice here. just on the fence about risking it.
:mrgreen:because ,he said he didn't want it...:sfish:
its just plain and not very bright or colorful .....IMO

i think your bio load would be fine

Oh. Well if it was based on looks I take your answer different. For clarification the answer should not be based in if you like the looks of it. More just your vote on me addig a second tang and such. Im obsessed with this species of tang. So looks are sold for me.

I think in a 180 things would be fine.........for how long is the question?
we have similar stock,and i know it took one of my triggers 2 years to snap,and my koran is a plain ol' B!tch now...no way i could add another fish ....i tried actually and the humu bit it in half

Last edited:
Oh. Well if it was based on looks I take your answer different. For clarification the answer should not be based in if you like the looks of it. More just your vote on me addig a second tang and such. Im obsessed with this species of tang. So looks are sold for me.

I say DO IT if you like it and you want it who cares what we say? I dont think its ugly its a very manly looking fish not bright pink or purple

:mrgreen:

I say DO IT if you like it and you want it who cares what we say? I dont think its ugly its a very manly looking fish not bright pink or purple

:mrgreen:
:lol:..:lol: yep,it will fit right in your manly tank,right next to the Pink tailed trigger:mrgreen::mrgreen:

seriously,just get it..i see no reason it won't work in your tank

Alex, you're not going to have a problem with your bioload with that fish. I've got

3 large tangs, a trigger, 2 clowns, 3 chromis, wrasse, 2 anthias, and I don't have any issues with my 180g.

If you want it get it. Personally I think there are prettier tangs for $80.

There is little info out on the internet about these fish but one member on Reefcentral says "He's constantly changing color from black to white and has the craziest silver lines when he's angry. " not only do i really like the normal look of this tang but silver lines? I love when fish change colors to express moods, my vlamingi would get super dark olive color and have minimal blue at all. it was cool.

My atlantic blue does the same thing, it'll have yellow vertical stripes on it's body when it's grazing on the rocks. But when I walk up to the tank, he goes back to his normal all blue color.

Back