Should I use sand in my tank?

I guess mine suck then?

I did not indicate that at all. You tank is beautiful. I was responding to your comment and defending my lovely starfish. You say tomato, I say "durh", usually, but my tanks still look nice :mrgreen:

I love it that I can do things very differently than most people and my tank still lives. that is what is so great about this hobby. there just ain't one way to do things.

-Doc

Thanks for the advice...I will add one after my 3-4 month mark...what do you feed your tank with that keeps your sand star so happy?

a wide variety of food. I believe that fish and inverts need the same kind of variety that humans do. we wouldn't do well with just eating cereal, even tho it will sustain life. giving a variety of food helps with health, coloration for sure and overall satisfaction, I believe. I only feed frozen food, but I do feed daily as my tanks are stocked full of fish (last one getting added tomorrow). I use san francisco brand food, altho there is an unilmited variety of food available. My personal favorite is reef plankton, it is full of nutrients and is probably the best meaty food on the market IMHO. there are different sizes for smaller or larger fish.

-Doc

Doc your tanks aren't ugly and you can't help it if your one of "those people" who keep fish in your reef tank. What is it they say, "it is not a matter of choice, some people are just born that way." And you probably know a lot of crap, just like the rest of us. Whats great is the hobby develops and things change and improve as we learn non crap and share it with others. Personally I really like sand stars, but would never ever even accept a sea cucumber. I do not keep fish in my reef tanks. But that is me. If I could afford it though I would have dozens of species tanks.

In the spring I am turning part of a closet into a phytoplankton, rotifer, brine shrimp farm. For some reason I have a lot of glass ware lying around. Of yeah, better living through chemistry. Duh.

Back