should i?

jesse

Not That Kind Of Reefer
im looking to get some xenia cuz the gf likes them. so my plan was to get a piece and put it in my tank now and when she gets a tank and cycles it there should be enough to give her some right? or will that not work?

Depends on how fast that coral grows in your tank and how long it takes for the other tank to get set up, but there is no problem fragging and moving the xenia

Xenia is one of those corals that will thrive in one tank and melt away in another. I could not keep it for the life of me. Yet other "more difficult" corals thrive. So it, just like everything else in this hobby is a crap shoot.

What is the risk? I don't really understand what the chance you are taking is. You can buy a coral and keep it in your tank until it's ready to move into someone else's tank.

well what i understood is that some people cant keep this type of coral. so the risk would be that the coral would die in my tank. or it will live in mine but die in the other tank.

But that is a risk with anything you put in the tank. Maybethe frag I got was unhealthy, maybe my live rock had a disease or parasite specific to Xenia. Maybe the moons didn't line up exactly right.

oh... well its because i heard this about xenia the most. i guess i am going to get me a piece in a bit.....

quick question. i have yellow polyps, some zoas, and mushrooms im my 40 gal. the lights are from a biocube because i was gonna temporarily use them untill i get ones for the size of the tank. but i am going to sell the biocube tomorrow and im not sure if i will get the lights tomorrow so how long can the tank last without the lights?

ok thats enough to decide it to be out of the options.... im looking into lights for my 36 inch tank. any ideas?

You have to get the right LEDs. There are a lot of LEDs that aren't strong enough to keep corals. LEDs use a lot less power and you don't have to change the bulbs, so that saves money.

You will need at least 4 bulbs of T5s. The second link is only 2. The first one looks fine for your tank. :)

So t5 would be in the safe zone at least for my tank? I'll look into it. 4 bulb min. Any other things I would need to look for?

An individual reflector is a good investment with t5 unit that only have 4 bulbs. It will make sure more light is reflected into the tank.

Back