should i?

can anyone recommend some lights that are good enough for sps but not as pricey or is there even such a thing?

im just looking for good lighting more in the t5 and led parts. i dont think i will keep sps anytime soon but id like the option.

Yes. The bulbs that come with a cheap fixture won't be great, so you can replace them with higher quality bulbs that will help a lot. As with anything, the quality (as far as things not breaking/customer service, etc.) won't be as good with a cheaper fixture, but that's a risk you take when you buy any cheaper products. The Current Nova Extreme Pros are probably the best 6 bulb fixture, but they are more expensive than a lot of others.

ok i got a really bright really nice 4 bulb fixture for like 115.....now it has 10,000, atinic, 10,000, atinic in that order. should i leave it as is or should i change the bulbs to both atinics on one switch and two 10,000 on the other switch. and whats the amount of watts i need to grow coral(just making sure)

well im currently looking into where to get the xenias because the store i wnt to was seriously over priced. i cant get it at my usual store because he only has one piece and hes keeping it to grow out himself.

i changed the bulbs and i feel better to have the same color on same switch. it makes it easier to only have the atinics on if i want to so i can show off the coral colors. this fixture is like way brighter than my old one so would that be too much light?

how many watts do i need and how many would be over doing it.
i have 4x39 watt bulbs, 2 10k and 2 atinic. i only have 2 on because i dont want to shock the coral with the dramatic change in light.

got mostly zoas in my tank.

run a 30 gallon with 150 watt metal halide, planning to switch to led's soon though.

going to keep mostly whites and blue lights.

not sure how many watts for 30 gallon but maybe 150 with mostly whites and some blues.

well for sure i dont like the MH to hot and expensive for my taste. on the LEDs im waiting for them to actually be around long enough to be considered reliable which is why i got the HO t5s.i love the zoas but i also like to have variety.
if ur keeping 150watt in a 30 then im sure i have plenty for my 40.

well i know that they are all 39w each bulb but i meant how much do i really need to keep stuff.

I've said like 4 times in a couple different posts of yours on this topic that a 4 or 6 bulb T5 would be sufficient. ;) I'm not sure what more you are asking about. When you ask what light to buy to keep corals, I wouldn't have recommended a light that isn't enough to keep corals.

Last edited:
haha ok im not explaining my self correctly. im sorry for making u repeat. i got a 4 bulb fixture today, couldnt be happier(thanks for the help) im very sure i can keep all kinds of coral i just read somewhere that there is suppose to be lik 3-5 watts per gal for a certain coral and like 2-3 for another type and some need more wattage than others. i know that its capable its just for the sake of the knowledge, did that change things or still the same.

With T5s, around 5 wpg will allow you to keep whatever you want. But this can also vary based on the depth of the tank, quality/brand of the bulbs, how old they are, and if the light has individual reflectors, which direct more light down into the tank.

thanks so 5 wpg is the more or less number, thats what i was asking in the other posts. sorry if i didnt make it clear.

Back