Shrimp nipping polyps?

twps

Reefing newb
I have a Zoa colony and it appears to be getting nipped at, although I haven't seen anything nip it personally. A few polyps appear to be rough around the edges. I have a peppermint & cleaner shrimp in my tank with the hermits, snails, and 2 star fish. The latest editions are the shrimp a week ago.

I'm pretty sure it's a peppermint clear with red stripes, based on pics/desc I'd say he is a peppermint, not a camel. He's pretty shy (compared to the cleaner) more active at night. I have a pink and a red starfish. The pink has an orange body with pink bumps/spots, the red is all red with little black hair like specs.

Or else, take the zoas out and check it good for a small zoa/polyp eating snail. I had one on my polyp colony that I didn't know about, it was eating my zoas too.

Nice though, Smitty. I've noticed several small snails in my tank recently that I believe were hitchhikers on something. (3 tiny brittle stars too - Although I haven't seen them since adding them)

I'll go take a good in depth look. I'm more worried about my blue star polyps as it's a small colony and I could see it getting depleted quickly.

Sounds like a Chocolate chip, I would check that before the Pepper you have, thought it is possible, I have seen a Peppermint eat a live duster from a cluster before...

I didn't think of pointing the finger at the starfish. They've been in there for weeks w/o signs of any damage. They tend to just chill on the glass all the time.

Back