Shrooms on Zoa?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well I just separated my zoa in half and noticed what looks like two mushrooms growing on the back on the bigger half of the zoa. Is that what these are?

IMG_0329.jpg

..... I'm talking about the two whitish colored things, one on the left and one on the right. They have bumps on them and to me, they look sort of like mushrooms but I didn't know they would actually grow on a zoa.

They have been there for quite a while as I did notice them back when I got it but until now haven't moved it (they were facing the back of the tank). Is it normal for them to just grow onto another type of coral? Will it effect either the zoa or themselves? It looks like the one on the right is actually grown into or at least attached to the head next to it. I have the zoa turned to the front of the tank now so I can watch it and see if anything happens.

mushrooms will attach where ever they are happy. Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about it unless those zoas are real expensive. Just a thought, don't know if it would work, but maybe try moving them into a highflow area and see if they'll detach from the zoas...They like flow, but they don't like to be beat about the head. Beat them about the head a little.

Others may have some better ideas for removing shrooms form zoas...

This was just your typical zoa. I think it was $20 or so. I do like it though as it's my best looker by a good deal so I'd hate to see it die even though I have two of them now. I may move it to a higer flow area but that won't disturb the zoa will it? If so, I think I'll just leave it be as it's near a corner of the tank where it doesn't get a lot of flow.

They look like bleached mushrooms to me. They should recover and open up, but they will likely sting the zoas and block them from the light.

Well, about three months later and this is what they look like now...

IMG_0454.jpg

The zoa itself seems to still be doing well but those dang things on it are just ugly. Should I try to pull them off once the lights are off and Mr. Zoa is shrunk down or just let them go?

Whoa, crikey! Hahaha they really took off!
As for what to do, if i was in your situation, i would just get some tweezers on that bazza!

Back