silicone?

ksbiker1100

algae harvester
what kind of silicone should i use to reseal my tank? started to use some stuff from my lfs but the tube only seals about one 36'' strip and is $8 a tube. so i went to lowes and searched for an hour for some that was aquarium safe with no luck.

Go back to Lowe's and buy the GE silicone type I, it's the kind without any mildew resistant additives. Some people here won't use it but, Biff and I have both used it and it works fine in aquariums.

thats what i picked up but it says not for use below the water line or aquarium! just want to make sure thats what i should use.

Last edited:
There is a lot of debate on the GE silicone and stuff. I went with Shop DAP 2.8 OZ. Aquarium Sealant Clear at Lowes.com

Lowes has it, it is on the same isle as the GE stuff just down farther near the super glues.

Its only $4 a tube.

Im using it for my DIY overflow box and the panels in my sump.
That stuff is twice as expensive as the GE though.

Here is what I used when I built my sump 4-5 months ago. It's been hooked up and running since with no ill affects on my system.
7924b411-f47f-405b-ad61-5431aa66c266_300.jpg

That stuff is twice as expensive as the GE though.

Here is what I used when I built my sump 4-5 months ago. It's been hooked up and running since with no ill affects on my system.
7924b411-f47f-405b-ad61-5431aa66c266_300.jpg

But you also have to buy a caulking gun

That GE is what I originally bought and here is what was posted in a thread I made about it.

https://www.livingreefs.com/acrylic-and-silicone-overflow-box-and-sump-t28871.html

I think because I was using acrylic baffles they where saying that wont adhere to it and I was also making an over flow box as well.

Like I said even on my thread some people said it was ok some said no.
No, it won't adhere to acrylic, thats why it wouldn't be good to build the overflow with but, if you create a think enough layer of it in the sump it will hold the acrylic in place. Some people said no because they wouldn't use it but, it has been used by several people on this site successfully without any negative effects.
But you also have to buy a caulking gun
I bought my caulking gun for $1.50 at WalMart, so it's still cheaper overall.

Back