Silt?

ph33nyx

Reefing newb
I just started up a 12g JBJ nano cube. I filled it with salt water (from the local aquarium store), live sand and live rock. I noticed that once it had been filled there was a TON of silt in the water. It started to settle yesterday, but had covered all my live rock. The only filter I've got is some HBH Aqua-Pure filter media in the intake side. I plan on doing a refugium in the middle chamber, and have the pump and heater in the third. Is there a way I can clean out all the silt to help clear the water?
TIA

Not really, just wait for it to do its thing. You have wait for the tank to cycle to add any livestock so you might was well just wait.

Thanks.
On another note....The guy at the LFS was wanting to sell me another power head for the tank. I've got the OEM pump, but put on a Hydor-Flo circulation head. Is another power head needed for such a small tank?

you want 15-20x the volume of your tank turned over per hour. Flow is really important, any where you dont have good flow is going to allow nutrients to settle out and encourage hair algae to grow. Plus you need good circulation in the tank to bring oxygen to the corals and carry away their wastes. You also need powerheads to give the top of your tank a good ripple to keep good oxygen and CO2 exchange for a healthy tank.

Think about the ocean, its never calm and still.

Back