six line wrasse

reefnoob

Reefing newb
Anyone ever own a six line wrasse before? I read they could be aggressive. Do they attack other fish, CUC, and corals often?

Mine minds his own business :) Picking at the rocks all day long. But it's always 50/50 with any fish. I've heard of aggressive 6lines before.

A lot of six lines are known to be really aggressive, especially when they get older. I have a really tiny six line (about 1 inch) and he's the shyest tank member I have, totally minds his own business. If you want one that is more peaceful, I'd get a tiny one.

• 1 flame angel
• 3 firefish (or only 1)
• 1 six line wrasse (maybe)
• 1 yellow tang
• 2 clownfish
• 1 royal gramma
• 3 chromis (maybe)
Those are the fish I want.
I don't know about the wrasse since I heard it was aggressive. I was thinking that I either don't get any chromis at all and have the 3 firefish. Or I can have the 3 chromis and only one firefish. So I would have 9 to 11 fish in my 90 gallon. Are all of them compatible? Is there enough space? Are they reef safe?

I'd trim it down to no more than 10 fish, and that's pushing it. And definitely skip the scooter blenny -- they're more difficult to keep alive unless you get them to eat frozen.

The how about everything on that list except I trim the number of firefish down to 1? OR
Should I keep the number of firefish and trim the number of chromis down to 1? That would be exactly 10. I also plan on putting CUC in there.

Sixline wrasses can be hit or miss aggression-wise. The ones I've had were always peaceful and never bothered any other fish.

You will get no guarantees in this hobby. There is no way any one of us can tell you, "This fish will NEVER pick at your corals" or "This fish will NEVER bully another fish". They are like people -- they are individuals with individual personalities. This goes for the sixlines, firefish, chromis... We can't guarantee that the chromis wil fight. We can't guarantee that they won't. Some are aggressive jerks, others are completely docile.

With compatibility, you will get fish that have reputations for being peaceful that are jerks to other fish out of nowhere.

When you stock your tank, no one hands the fish a list of rules that they have to sign off on and abide by. They can be unpredictable and every one will act differently from each other.

What I'm saying is I think you are way overthinking this whole process. Relax, get the fish that you want, judge compatibility based on their "general" and "overall" temperaments, and don't expect every fish to fall into a specific category personality-wise. You will have to take risks in this hobby no matter what. There is no "risk-free" fish addition because you cannot predict their behaviors 100% of the time. So I'd stop worrying so much about needing a guaranteed successful stocking list and just accept that any fish you add will have pros and cons and may not get along with everyone, but there's no way to avoid that. :)

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the advice. I also have a separatet 30 gal that I've had for a few years. I just have a niger trigger, 2 clownfish, and 1 yellow tang with a few shrimp in there. I separated the trigger from the other fish because it was a bit aggressive, but everything else is fine. I plan on moving everything except the trigger into the 90 gal once its done cycling. Do you think I can put the wrasse with the trigger if it turns out aggressive?

Are you aware that the minimum tank size requirement for a niger trigger is 180 gallons? Even for small ones? You should not have a trigger or any tang in a 30 at all. Both of those fish are WAY too big to be kept in a 30 gallon tank. Fish that are in a too small tank will develop aggression problems -- like what you saw in the trigger. If you cannot find those two fish a bigger home ASAP, I highly recommend taking them back to a store. The trigger cannot stay in the 30 gallon or the 90 gallon after you upgrade; it's simply cruel.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Niger Triggerfish

I think a six-line would be fine with that mix. You could also look at some of the fairy or flasher wrasses. I have both a six-line and red velvet fairy and the red velvet fairy is far more aggressive than the six-line (and it was listed as peaceful). It's also a large male though, so maybe a smaller fairy or flasher wouldn't be aggressive. With my fairy wrasse, he had a couple of little tussles with other fish in the tank, but everyone has gotten along just fine since then.

Bit late on this but I had a six line wrasse before cause my only other fish was a yellow tail damsel and the wrasse showed the damsel who was boss by taking a couple snips of his tail, but the damsel is got happy once again and the wrasse chilled in his cave most of the time when I had him.

Don't count on coral being fine in your tank with the flame angel. Also, if want a good looking, peaceful wrasse, try a Male Leopard Wrasse. They're reef safe, cool looking, peaceful, and will actually eat parasites off of fish.

Back