size question

Redfoot

Reefing newb
Hi guys,

Looking to set up my first tank, wondering what would be a good size for a beginner?

I understand small tanks can be hard to keep on top off but I don't want too big of a tank to start of with, so what would be the smallest big tank you would recommend?

This is not set in stone but to give you an idea what I would like to aim for is, maybe a minimum of 4 fish and some cleaning crew, sorry a bit corny but I love clown fish so for sure one of those with an anemone, and whatever would get along with a clown fish, love Tangs too and Mandarin but really whatever gets along with the clown, cheers for any help.

First tank I would think a 29 gallon would be a good size. However if you want a tang you are looking 125 gallon. Could get away with a 90 but a 125 would be better. No tang, a 29 is a good volume amount with out the added expense.

cheers Ted,

Yeah I thought the tang would need more room, so I guess I can wait for one of those.

29G what would I be likely to get in it, would it fit 4 fish ok?

If you have the room and a little extra money I'd go for something a little bigger like a 55g. The cost doesn't really jump up too much nor does the amount of work, especially if you take it slow. And the larger tank will offer you more options as you progress in what you can keep.

If you have the room and a little extra money I'd go for something a little bigger like a 55g. The cost doesn't really jump up too much nor does the amount of work, especially if you take it slow. And the larger tank will offer you more options as you progress in what you can keep.

yeah 55G is not out of the question, I was under the impression that the min size for a SW tank would be around 90 gallons, so I'm pleasantly surprised I can go smaller than that.

Would I be best looking at all in one set ups, or buying separate components?

I agree with AllReady -- a four foot tank would be a good starter tank. 55, 75 and 90 gallons are all four feet (and I think some 120 gallons too).

The general rule of thumb for saltwater is 1 fish per 10 gallons, give or take a fish. So in a 29 gallon, you could have 3 or 4 fish. In a 55, 5 or 6.

Anything larger than a nano tank (small) is going to be very difficult to get as an all-in-one setup. You are better off buying separate components. That way you can get exactly what you want, and get good quality equipment.

+1 to the 75g , a 55 is just too narrow and gets frustrating very quickly.

Also look into a 40g breeder, you can pick them up at petco for about $120. the size is
36x18x16 , great tank with an awesome footprint.

I did a 90 as my first tank and love it - allows me to have a decent mix of fish, including one of the smaller tangs. My only complaint is that the interior of my stand is too narrow for me to do a decent sized sump. In this hobby, buy as big as you can afford. Craigslist is a good option, especially after the holidays as people upgrade tanks and equipment for Christmas and then sell off their old stuff. If you are patient the deals will come! Only caution about buying a full set up is that sometimes people sell because they are frustrated with their tanks and just want to be done with it (aiptasia, algae issues, fish deaths, etc) - just make sure you are really clear on why the person is getting out. Also, if the tank isn't filled with water ask them to fill it for you to leak test it, and also verify that it has never had copper in it. First tanks are tons of fun!

oh no I was afraid of this, it's went from 29 gallon to 90 gallons...looks like the tang come be nearer than I thought LOL

I would recommend coming up with a figure of how much you can afford to spend, then subtract out how much you will need to spend on lights, salt, powerheads, protein skimmer, sump and plumbing parts (if you are going with a larger tank you will want to run a sump), test kits, heater, RO/DI unit, rocks, buckets, and return pump if you have a sump. See how much you have left after that and that will give you a good estimate of how much you can spend on a tank. This hobby gets very expensive very quickly. I'd recommend doing the above exercise for a 90g, 40g, and 29g. There isn't much difference between a 90/75 in terms of cost of other equipment. For a 29g, you don't need to include the cost of a sump, return pump, or even protein skimmer if you really need to go on the cheap side. In the end, the tank ends up being the cheap part of the package LOL

Ya the tank cost is the small cost...my 45 gallon free tank which I absolutely love has cost me around $1500. Thats doing Chinese equipment. so the cheap route. Main cost factors are rock and light. I have done similar sized tanks and spent less with no sump but this tank is the easiest I have ever had the joy of maintaining. I can not picture me ever having a sumpless system again. :twocents:

Back