Skimmer and Powerhead question

Aquatic Pet

Reefing newb
I recently got my protein skimmer, and before you guys say anything, I know i got ripped off. I bought a Marineland Skimmer and was told it isnt worth the cardboard that the original box it came in. Anyway, i cant seem to get it to put off anything in the cup? I have adjusted the flow and air and i get nothing. Anyone have any tips for me?

2nd question, I currently have 2 powerheads on each side of the tank (55gal) and the protein skimmer on the right side. I also have the filter tube flowing in the tank on the left. So i have a total of 4 outlets of water and current moving. My question is should the powerheads be up top or should i move one to the bottom.

I seem to be getting alot of crudd on the bottom that isnt moving around. I think part is i was initially overfeeding and part is there isnt any current on the bottom. I was told that if i moved my powerhead down to the middle of the tank it will blow the crudd around the rock and aleviate that problem.

I went to the LFS and got 15 snails,15 hermits, 3 cleaner shrimp and 2 emerald crabs but they arent cleaning the bottom. The snails are cerith & astrea and the crabs were scarlet reef and dwarf blue leg. I got the clean up crew with the hope that they would eat the crudd and the algea before it became a problem.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How old is the set-up?

2 Things.

1) The skimmer may still need to break in before it starts pulling crud
2) Maybe the bio-load is small especially if the tank is newly set-up or doesn't have much in it.

As far as the powerheads. I think without knowing their GPH it is hard to know if you even have enough water movement. Probably not with just 2.

But even with 2 you can try to accomplish decent movement by having them push each others flow in sort of a circle.

As far as lowering them. I guess if you put on about midway down and the other near the top yo could cover the tank at both levels but again if they are small maybe not.

Just use your eyes and common sense to try to see the waters flo and try to cover the best you can.

Rock layout and other factors can change the way you position you powerheads for the best water movement. For example, pointing it right at a rock is not good.

I have 5 powerheads in my 220gal.

1) Points across the near bottom
2) Points across the top toward the back area
3) Points across the front glass
4) Points across the front area
5) Points straight from the back glass to the front criss-crossing all the streams

Then my 4 water returns. 2 blow down and across the front and 2 blow into the front corners.

That is just an example of how my tank is.

Hope this gives you a good idea and again I say without more details on your equipment it is hard to say if you need more powerheads or what.

Post of photo as well.

Thank you. The tank is fairly new. Ive only had fish in it for 2 weeks. The guy at the LFS said that marineland protein skimmers were worthless and it was probably just not working right.

I have the whirlpool going pretty good but its putting alot of bubbles in the tank. So i turn it down and the whirlpool goes away. Very tough to get the right setting.

If the skimmer is new just let it run for about 2-4 weeks to break in. All skimmers are different. Mine took a month to really get going.

Marineland Skimmers are not worthless as far as I know but each person likes their own stuff.

2 weeks with fish is not much.

What size is the tank and how many fish?

Basically you need to wait longer for that skimmer to break in and they make microbubbles as well before they break in fully and that is a known fact.

Bottom line is to let the skimmer run according to the directions and wait it out. Unless you have a limited to time to get you money back.

You will not ever get the right setting on that skimmer until it is broken in and then it can take longer and it can change as you add more bio-load. I hated trying to use a skimmer when I started but now I can see right away what it needs.

The tank is 55 gal, I have 2 Ocellarus Clowns, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby and a bunch of cleaner guys. I will let it run for the break in period. Just making sure i wasnt doing anything wrong. Thanks

Back