Skimmer and refugium questions

ChappyChap

Reefing newb
I picked up an eshopps protein skimmer with a sicce needle wheel pump and API testing kit, in addition to some new frags for the biocube. Anyways, I was having trouble w the skimmer. I couldn't get the water column to rise. Until I added more water, in the instructions it says 8-10" of water but the fish store said that was just what eshopps recommended. I've got about 6" of water which puts the water level about 1" into my filter media which is live rock rubble. Is this ok? They also had three or four different sizes of refugiums made to use alongside my sump. I was thinking of getting one. I know someone mentioned using just live rock and cheato instead of miracle mud? What's cheato? A type of algae? What type of lighting should i use? Is it even worth getting a refugium as small as my reef tank is going to be? Also I have tested my wAter a couple times, all I am detecting is nitrate. Does this mean I'm nearing the end of the cycle or is it just beginning? Sorry for all the questions thanks in advance.

I would follow the manufactures recommendation on water height. I run live rock and cheato. Cheato is a macro algae. Looks like a green brillo pad. Light for is is a 6500k cfl bulb, the twisty ones. My bulb is on the yellow side and my cheato doubles in size every month. I take half of it to the lfs and get credit. Ummm forgot other questions...brb

Oh my tank is a 45 and I run a fuge. I had a 10 gallon and modified a hang on back filter into a fuge. I think its the best way to go as far as filtration.

Nice. That went quickly. But I do have a ton of live rock an the water and stuff cycled or about two weeks. What's next inverts or a few hardy fish?

I tend to go the hardy fish route. Just make sure it something that you will want long term in the tank. After that snails...

What size tank is this? You will be limited to 1 fish per 10 gallons, give or take a fish. Make sure the fish you choose are suitable for your tank size. And add one fish to start, then wait a few weeks before you add any more. Then one at a time after that.

I have a few green chromis and a purple dotty back..The chromis are a basic fish but it is out a lot the dotty back is a nice purple almost pink really..He is coming out more but still skittish. Mainly looking gobies, dotty backs, blennies, damsels (chromis are in this family) damsels are quite aggressive. Clowns (another type of damsel can be aggressive as well) . Look at live aquria good ideas on tank sizes there as well if reef compatible..

In regards to the skimmer (I have experience with these eshopps skimmers), I find them to be quality skimmers but ONLY once you get them dialed in properly. They will simply not work if you do not have salinity close to 1.020-1.030, they will ONLY work in deep water (8 or so inches) and they are extremely hard to adjust internal neck water level. The valve on the left side of the skimmer (if it is installed facing away from you) can only be moved a hair to raise the water level by nearly half an inch. Chaeto is a type of algae used to reduce harmful nitrates in the aquarium. You should use whatever lighting is best for the type of tank you are trying to keep. Do you want to do soft corals, or mainly sps/lps? A fuge is not really needed for a small tank, but it depends on your plans for the tank. Nitrate comes at the end of the cycle, after ammonia and nitrite.

Back