Skimmer in Nano Cubes

Explicit

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,

Just out today starting to research stuff for my upcoming build. The LFS near me at a bunch of Nano Reefs set-up. I have always had a soft spot for the art form of keeping small ecosystems and was intrigued by the system. Anyway, I understand the added attention a smaller system needs and my question is in regards to using a skimmer with a nano cube. The LFS said that weekly water changes will cover what a skimmer would otherwise do. Also I could not find any possible way to add a skimmer to such a small system.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Yep, weekly water changes are plenty on small tanks, like 30 gals or smaller.

There are some nano skimmers, but i really dont know anything on how good their performance is and if they are worth the money. But someone on here should should know!

Thanks little fish! Ill have to do some more research on these nano-cubes. My fiance was angry we were not buying one. Amazing how she never wanted a tank untill she actually saw them. I have a feeling she will become a bigger fish junkie then I am.

I agree, smaller tanks will be fine with just water changes. I have a 3 gallon pico, and I don't use any sort of filtration at all, just 50% water changes every 2 weeks or so.

If you set on using a skimmer, you should check out the tunze 9002. It a good skimmer and you won't find any negative reviews for it anywhere.

If you set on using a skimmer, you should check out the tunze 9002. It a good skimmer and you won't find any negative reviews for it anywhere.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I am not set on using anything at the moment, just trying to figure out what would work best. One more quick question, is a power head recommended in a nano reef or does the output from the return usually stir up the water enough?

It's really up to you, the way I set up my rockwork in my nano I've placed a small powerhead behind the rocks so nothing settles back there. But you don't NEED one.

Tunze 9002 Nano skimmer, and the Hydor Slim Skim. If it was me, I would most likely go with the Hydor only for the smaller footprint. You will have to shave the magnets off the Tunze to get it to fit in one of the rear chambers. Both are equally good, and about the same price.

Back