skimmer problem again

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
So something's wrong with my octo 800 skimmer again - kind of pissed, since it's relatively new (3 mos) - I turn it off to do the water change, and then, when I turned it off, the pump is making a grinding/rumbling noise - it sounds like it's trying to push water but nothing is happening. I did the whole reprime thing and still nothing.
Last time it happened, I waited a while and tried and again and it suddenly worked.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

When was the last time you soaked the pump and impeller in vinegar?
Vinegar will break the calcium deposits loose and help the pump run better.

Thats the only thing I can think of,since I dont run an octo skimmer.

yote, I'm ashamed to admit, never. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to remove it, it's lodged in there in a way where it looks pretty difficult to get out. Maybe Daugherty can help me with that...
Too bad the directions are so sparse and confusing.

the bubble plate will come off just pull up on it and twist it a bit while doing so. than pull the pump toward the return chamber and it will seperate from the intake side just dont lift up on it until it comes loose. when you put it back together make shure that it gets seated all the way in to the coupler on the intake side.

ok, thanks again guys - it ended up working again after an hour being off (which I think is really frustrating, because it's obviously not broken, but there's another issue going on that I can't figure out).
Daugherty, thanks, next time I power it off for a water change, I'm going to take it out and soak it good.

Back