skimmer question

I cleaned my skimmer for the first time since I got it. Since I did that 4 days ago there's no waste collecting in the cup. I am fairly certain I put it back together correctly. There are plenty of bubbles, and it sounds the same as it did before. Already I see the algae growing, and I wonder if I should get a new skimmer. Or did cleaning it bring it back to it's "new" condition where it needs to break in again? This is a BakPak 2. I'm thinking about getting the Aqua C Remora, since it's rated better than the BakPak 2. (sorry for posting this twice, those who read it before, but I hope more people see it in this section)

I'm no expert but if you cleaned all the gunk out of it, it will probably take a couple of days for it to start skimming again. Anyway, that's what happened to me. Now I just dump out the liquid and leave the slime in the collection cup.

It's starting to work a little, almost a week after I cleaned it. I don't know, I think maybe I should get a new one. I've only had this one for 5 months, but even before I cleaned it it was collecting less and less waste (even though I added fish). My hair algae is growing back. Can anyone recommend either the AquaC Remora Pro or the Aqua Medic Turbofloater? I have to have a hang-on-back skimmer.

There are several things you need to look at on this skimmer. Is the water level in the skimmer adjusted properly? Is the Air valve adjusted properly? And it the skimmer sitting in enough water?
Normally a good cleaning will make the skimmer act new again for a day, but that is normally only if you remove the pump and clean all the slime out of it. And you should always clean the black, pasty crap out of the neck, that will allow it to function properly and not impede the flow of air bubbles.

I put everything back in the same position it was before - air valve fully open (like directions say) and the bottom of the funnel sitting a half inch under the water level. The powerhead is completely under the water line. I called customer support and they couldn't help me, other than suggesting I do a large water change in case something got into the water that's interfering with it.

I I've the aqua c remora,not the pro and it's doing great on the 4th day!

Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards that one also, it looks like it will fit better on my tank than the Octopus. I'm disappointed I can't figure out what happened to the BakPak or make it work, because it doesn't seem like a piece of junk...oh well, spending more money again :grumble: something you get used to with this hobby.

I looked at an HOB Aqua C Remora skimmer on a potential tank set up that I was considering buying. It did a great job collecting gunk, but sent a ton of bubbles back into the water after it filtered stuff out. So I've decided to go with an octopus reef skimmer in my sump instead to better control bubbles. Not sure if that helps or not! (I'm still waiting for it to be delivered so can't yet tell you how well it works, but it came on good recommendation from here!)

I guess I need to do more research to find out why the micro bubbles are so evil. I do have some coming out of my current skimmer. Also I was wondering if I upgrade to a bigger tank sometime that has a sump, just wondering if I can use the HOB type in a sump also?

Back