Skimmer Recomendations!

rod_james02

Reefing newb
I have a fowlr 100 gallon tank in it's 2nd week of cycling, no sump but Im planning on getting one in the future. I need recommendations on a skimmer that would work now without a sump but also use it when I get a sump. Any ideas?

Im not sure if you can covert them, but the reef octopus skimmers are awesome. Make sure you get one that is rated for twice your tank water volume

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/AquaticLife-Internal-Mini-Skimmer-115/dp/B001V95TZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1314298668&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: AquaticLife Internal Mini Skimmer 115 - up to 30 gal. - 3 in x 3.25 in x 10.5 in: Kitchen & Dining[/ame] Is this a good skimmer for my 29 gallon? It will be in the 10 gallon sump.

I saw it had good reviews.

If not, is this a better one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydor-Nano-...448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41552605c8

I have the Lifereef skimmer, worth every penny IMO

Those are huge (lowest 250gal) though lol, I only have a 29 gallon.

Another question:: I read on a few sites, that if you have a refugium in your sump..you don't need a skimmer, you just need a pump. This isn't true is it?

OP was mentioning it was for a 100 gallon tank, I didnt see your post about the 29 gallon. I'd say Reef Octopus as well, when I did my research, it came down to Reef Octopus and the Lifereef for me

OP was mentioning it was for a 100 gallon tank, I didnt see your post about the 29 gallon. I'd say Reef Octopus as well, when I did my research, it came down to Reef Octopus and the Lifereef for me

Everyone seems to say reef octopus, but I just wanna know if the ones I posted are any good. What's so special about those brands? What sets them apart from the others? If you don't mind me asking... :)

Everyone seems to say reef octopus, but I just wanna know if the ones I posted are any good. What's so special about those brands? What sets them apart from the others? If you don't mind me asking... :)

They are inexpensive, and they work great, like the saying what you buy is what you get, good design, and a very good product for the money.

They are inexpensive, and they work great, like the saying what you buy is what you get, good design, and a very good product for the money.

By lifereef... does everyone mean Coralife? like this one... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Super-Skimmer-Wheel-Gallon/dp/B000BJNL6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314299827&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Coralife Super Skimmer With Wheel Water Pump Up To 65 Gallon Tank - Coralife 05271: Everything Else[/ame]

No LifeReef as far as im aware is its own company, with no relation to Coralife.
And plus Coralife skimmers are pretty poor, same price as RO but just way down on the performance.

What does this mean and why?

So it can fully handle the bioload, means it can do its job better, and more efficient.
Say you were going to buy a car, would you buy one with a bigger tank, or smaller gas tank remembering that they both are the same car.
Bad comparison, but you get the point

Back