Slimy spider webs?

Kizmar

#derpface
So I get home tonight to see my tank in a bit of a predicament. There are what I can only describe as slimy spiderweb looking strings all over the place.

I start taking inventory... seeing if anything is missing or dead. All the inverts look ok. This fish all look OK, the corals are mostly closed up, but I figured it was because these slime string were irritating them as they brushed by them.

I see in the back corner of the tank that the Electric Blue Hermit it on the substrate, turned in such a way that he probably couldn't get himself "off his back" so to speak. It almost appeared as though the slimy stringy stuff was coming from him. Maybe he was doing that to try to get a grip on the sand substrate to turn his shell?

I reached in and adjusted the hermit so he could move on his own. It appears as though the tank is slowly clearing up.

Could that have been from the hermit? Should I be worried about the health of the water with all that floating around in the tank?

I doubt it's the hermit. It sounds more like vermetid snails. Did you see tubes at the bottom of any of the webs? These type of snails shoot a web out of their tubes to catch food in the water.

I wouldn't worry about them being harmful, whatever they were.

Nope it wasnt a hermit. My feather dusters do that pretty bad when the urchin pisses them off. Sometimes it comes off certain corals too. Its freaky when it first happens but eventually you just go oh that stuff again LOL

Do you have a good skimmer? It will suck it all up really good for you

You can barely see them...they live in little tubes on the coral. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• tube.jpg
    tube.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,773
  • 61101_8305.jpg
    61101_8305.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,320
Back