small anemone

lilduud

Reefing newb
i was just swimming in the ocean a while ago and a patch of kelp drifted up to me... on some of the bulbs there were these small orange shriveled anemone like things. of course i swam in with one and put it in a cup with sea water... it opened up a little bit and i could see its tentacles... then i wanted to see what would happen if i acclimated it to my tank water so i did. and let it sit for a few minutes and its opened up at least five times as big as before. obviously im not going to put it into my tank but i kinda wanna see what happens in an isolated ten gallon... if it will split or just die. just a little experiment. anyway i was wondering if anyone knew what kind it is... i live in san diego and it was attached to the bulb of Laminariales kelp....

also if anyone is going to seriously give me shit about taking an animal from the ocean... i see thousands of these things all the time. and im keeping one so get over it.

to everyone else thanks!

97a22df6.jpg

3b758a35.jpg

Wow! Interesting. I think all of the wild caught around your area are the cooler water type. What's the water temperature there?

Water temp is usually 66-72 can get exact reading of the location when I get back in the water. The current is northern so it may have come from mexico as many things on the beach do hahah. It seemed to really like my tanks 80 degrees.., can always set my heater at 72 if I isolate it. Oh and it eats brine shrimp already heh

I have seen stuff similar to that one before in colder water tanks. (I think I'm thinking of strawberry nems).

No idea what it is, but it sure is pretty!

Also, i dont think anyone on here condones you for taking something from the ocean, many people on here do, just make sure you have the proper permits otherwise you can get tacked with huge fines. Also, dont put it back once you expose it to your tank water, you dont want to introduce something new and possibly devastating back into the environment.

To be honest, I dont like this kind of experiment, you took something from the wild and are now playing with its life :(

But, it is a great looking experiment.

Back