Small DIY Sump.

frugm

Reefing newb
Ok guys,

I`m looking into building my own sump for my 29g. But I’m confused on a few areas.
I`m thinking about using a 10G glass Aquarium, just because that will fit nicely under my stand. Would this be too small? Would it be ok to my acrylic separators with the glass aquarium.

Now I`ve been doing quite a bit of reading and I understand the basic principles. However I’m unclear as to will I need to use my existing filter or can I turn one section of the sump into a filtration device? I plan on having 3 sections. Skimmer in one, Live rock/ sand and a return section. Do you think a powerful power head would be adequate to return the water to my tank?

Also Its not possible to get my tank drilled being as its already stocked. What’s the most reliable way to get water from my tank and into the sump?
And finally did I miss anything?

Thanks for your patience

SImon

You can use an Overflow to get the water from the DT (Display Tank) to the sump. I have a 29G tank also, I have a Mag 5 return pump in my sump and it produces really good flow. So I'd check those out. It also depends on the height your having to push the water back up.

Cool thanks for the ideas. I`m trying to do it on a small a bugget as possible while being realistic. I`m gonna wait till my reef Oct gets here and a see how large that is. is there a preffered order to do the sections?

If you only want to house equipment in it, you don't need to separate the sump into sections -- you can just have everything in the sump. If you want to keep a refugium, you will need 3 sections -- one for your equipment, one for the refugium, and one for the return pump. In a small sump like the one you're thinking of using, I wouldn't bother dividing it up unless you were really set on having a fuge. You will probably find that the 10 gallon size is just big enough to hold your equipment and not much else.

Ah ok ty Biff that makes it even simpler. I was just planing on using it for my equipment. I fear with my new skimmer and fillter and everything else hanging off the tank i`m not gonna have room for anything at this rate.

Keep in mind that all your water evaporation will show in the sump, not the main tank. So you will need to add top-off water to the sump on a regular basis as the water level drops.

Yeah I was thinking about that, Unfortunatly its just too far to do an auto top up at this time. Maybe later if I get a bigger tank.

Back